Picking a teacher

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Jun 30, 2015.

1. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I'm looking to get a teacher over the summer, to sort out my embrochure and give me general advice.

Are there any particular traits people look for in teachers?

I personally want experience pretty much, however I can't find any teachers in my area with that or who have a good reputation for teaching! I do't fancy skype lessons either...

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What area of the U. K. are you in?

Look up Michael Chapple on Facebook. He is near London and a great teacher. If you're not near London, perhaps he can give you a good lead.

3. ALWilts

ALWilts New Friend

Jun 26, 2015
    England
    Depending on how long a period you want lessons for, it might be worth looking further afield. Traveling an hour or so every other week for 3 months (as an example) might seem like a pain in the short term, but if you can find a teacher who will give you want you want you'll only benefit in the long run.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Be more specific about your location and your current level of ability and maybe we can help you find someone.

5. JackTheMusician

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    [QUOTE Solar[​IMG] Bell;822967]What area of the U. K. are you in?

Look up Michael Chapple on Facebook. He is near London and a great teacher[​IMG]. If you're not near London, perhaps he can give you a good lead.[/QUOTE]

I live in the South, (Hampshire)

6. JackTheMusician

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I live in Hampshire, particularly Southampton and am studying towards my Grade 8 exam! With the main goal of joining the army of a musician, which is also around grade 8 haha

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    First of all, I look for somebody who I can talk to and relate to, basically somebody who I like personally.
    Then I try to suss out whether this person can teach -- that is, even if I like her, and even if she plays with
    the London Orchestra and toured with Buddy Rich, does she know how COMMUNICATE what she knows in a
    meaningful, useful way? I don't think age is really a factor, there are 22 year olds coming out of college that
    know a LOT about playing the trumpet.

As far as skye lessons -- I have friends who teach via skype and I have friends who take lessons via skype.
    Other than the occasional technical glitches, the reports that I get are that it's a great way to fix the distance
    problem and worth doing...so you may want to reconsider your position on that if you can't find a teacher
    within a viable distance for you....

bigtiny

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You could contact the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra at Contact - Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. Perhaps someone in the brass section lives your side, or knows someone who teaches in the Hampshire area. Maybe give the City of Southampton Orchestra a try also.

9. JackTheMusician

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I'm currently talking to the local trumpet proffesor at Southampton University :)
    Thanks!