Picking It Back Up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rakkeyal, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Rakkeyal

Rakkeyal New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Nebraska
    My girlfriend plays the violin, and her sister just recently started to pick up the Saxophone, and all this musical air has gotten me to miss my old trumpet days.

However, for lack of a better word, I suck. It's been 5 years since I've loyally practiced my trumpet. (ignoring the few times I was a little tipsy)

I don't have any practice booklets left, I have no idea where my old high school practice books went, and have no material.

Playing scales is getting annoying.
    Any pointers on how to re-pick up my old instrument, and any stuff for me to practice with?

2. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Welcome back to playing! It seems once the bug bites it will still sting even years later if one doesn't scratch that itch.

Consider a couple of things.

Go to the music store and get an Arban's method book. Lots of good studies even if you do it on your own. It also makes some pretty intersting reading as well. so just don't go to the studies, read the supporting commentary/instructions.

Find a teacher and get some lessons. It may help you start back up and set some good new habits for embouchure, articulation, etc. You may find that you can make a good leap beyond what your abilities were before.

Read other posts in this forum and consider the sound advice from so many of the other people here. Do your long tone studies, get your chops back in shape in a reaonable, paced method. You should avoid overplaying and under performing initally as it might frustrate you and cause you to drop off again. We'd all rather have you stick around, enjoy playing, and improve.

Just my 2 cents...

3. Rakkeyal

Rakkeyal New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Nebraska
    This is unrelated, however, I'm curious as to if there are any other upward stream players?

4. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    Can i ask, why did you stop playing it? I mean i have read in this forum that so many have left then come back. Why have you guys left then decided to come back after so many years?

5. Rakkeyal

Rakkeyal New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Nebraska
    Life got in the way.
    When I was in high school, I had time to practice and play.
    Then I got a girlfriend, and a job, graduated, went to college.
    I still don't have time, really.
    With college full time, school full time, a girlfriend, sleep, etc.

6. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    yer but if you love it wouldn't you try to make time?

7. Rakkeyal

Rakkeyal New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Nebraska
    There are only so many hours in a day. :)

168 hours in a week
    56 hours of sleep, 40 hours work, 30 hours study, 15 hours at school, 14 hours in transit.

Tell me how much time you have left to practice trumpet.

8. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    all the time want. im in high school hahaha

9. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    wow, so that only leaves like... 13 hours with the girlfriend. if she's still with you after all that i'd say she's a keeper ; )

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  10. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Yes, I am an upstream player for the most part.