Picking out a Picc Mouthpiece...

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Annie, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    How do you pick out a piccolo mouthpiece that works? Same as you would a trumpet mouthpiece?

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Depends how you would pick a trumpet mouthpiece ;-)

Personally I use one that is the same rim width as my Bb (and C/Eb/D) mouthpieces, just slightly shallower. I know of other piccolo players who change every aspect and use a different rim size for piccolo. There are others still who use exactly the same mouthpiece for all instruments.

There will be players who say "I use brand x, size y, it is fantastic" - read this as it should be read - they use that mouthpiece and it works great for them, on their equipment, with their embouchure. It probably won't be the ideal mouthpiece for you.

In much the same way that choosing a trumpet mouthpiece is a very individual process, so too is choosing a piccolo one - it took me 2 hours to choose a top (I use Warburtons) and another 10 years to find a bottom that works really well - and the one I use wasn't designed for piccolo trumpet playing at all :?:

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    The only advice I can give you is don't go too shallow.
    I used to make that mistake thinking it would help range, but it just sacrificed sound.
    I played for many years on a Bach 6 (very deep) and only recently changed to a 10.5c to improve my reliability.

The D and E cups seemed to be a good idea but the scarifice in sound was not worth any gains in playing the higher notes.

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Pretty much the same story for me. I have used many variations of the 7e for years, thinking it fit at the time, but have always struggled with pic. I finally started using something bigger (same rim throat and back bore as I use on C and B flat) and now I am able to really work on the thing. The right mouthpiece for pic is VERY important.