Picking out a Picc

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Annie, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    So, any hints for picking out a piccolo trumpet? I'm thinking of planning a trip up to Washington Music Center for one - most likely one of the used ones, I can't afford a new one on summer pay.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My only suggestion would be to look for a pic that is fairly well known as a "good" pic.

Schilke
    Selmer
    Kanstul

Those are three that immediately come to mind. I have heard though that the Getzen Eterna pic, for the money, is hard to beat. I think that you can even improve it vastly by putting a Blackburn leadpipe on it. Same goes for the Selmer and Schilke, although they are going to cost plenty of $$$ all by themselves.

I once got a killer deal on a Besson pic - I bought it used for $800 and it was a sweet little pic, but I ended up gigging in a different direction (Latin Band) and that poor pic just sat there in the case so I ended up selling it for what I bought if for because I was only using my Bb. I got a call the other day from the guy that I sold it to. He thanked me again for selling it to him because he had just played a wedding gig on it and he said it was a sweet little pic that he felt he got a good deal on. I think I sold it to him in 1998 and I thought it was nice that he remembered me.

Good luck Annie.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I would say try to play some picc before you go if you havent already so that you might know what mouthpiece you will want to use before hand. I suggest the laskey picc mpc.

Also take a friend (one that can play picc)and a tuner along.

I would stick to these brands:

Stomvi
    Schilke
    Selmer
    Kanstul
    Yamaha

4. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    ERk, I forgot about mouthpiece....You don't think I could borrow the store's mouthpiece, do you? I kinda don't own one and I don't think I know someone who does...

I think there is a used Getzen Eterna at the store, name sounds familiar from the ones he listed to me...

5. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    I use a Schilke 13A4 Bb on my piccolo. Just bring one your smaller Bb pieces. Should work fine.

6. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I find it's always tough when you're buying your first of a particular type of instrument. What I mean is, we're all familiar with Bb trumpets so when we go out shopping for one it's easy to feel and hear the differences between them but the first time you buy a flugel, picc, Eb, cornet, etc. you're kinda going into it blind. I bought my picc not knowing much about it and trusted Yamaha to produce a good professional level piccolo. They do.

My 6810 is a good instrument but after a few months of getting used to it I started to learn it's limitations and started lusting after Schilkes and other industry standard horns(by the way, of the few Schilkes I've played, they were a dream to play. It felt like it played itself. Almost :-) ). However, there is a good ending to the story...

Piccolo playing can send you on a mouthpiece safari all it's own. Since the picc is so different(half the tubing) most players seem to need to use a difference mouthpiece to get a good match. I started off using a Yamaha 14a4a and then moved to a 13d4. When I switched to GR I used my trumpet mouthpiece on it. It was better than before but still not great. I finally made the jump to get fitting for a piccolo piece the same way I got fitted for my trumpet piece. I settled on the 64P-M. It plays great now. It's amazing how easy it is to play when you've got a good match of horn and mouthpiece. The great thing about the GR system is the adapters really help you match your equipment.

Long post short: Play a bunch of piccs and choose the one that plays easiest within your budget. Practice on it diligently for 6-8 months(don't forget flexibilities, scales, and easy baroque rep) and then start experimenting with mouthpieces to match it better.

7. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

Getzen trumpets generally have great valves....could be a great idea to consider the Getzen otherwise you could consider Yamaha or Stomvi.

8. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought I should throw in the good word for Benge. The old ones from the 1970s-about 1981 are excellent. Great horn for the money. I bought mine for $800. A notch better than the Yamaha 6810 or Selmer and a couple higher than the Getzen, IMHO.

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    annie,
    the music store should have some mouthpieces for you to use but the might not fit you so that is why i suggusted trying to find one on your own, and remember you will need trumpet and cornet mouthpieces depending on the picc.

when you are trying them out take it easy when you play dont over blow, also make sure to check out the A and b flat sides of the horn with a tuner.

in the end you are just buying a bell and valve section, you can always get a aftermarket leadpipe down the road.

10. ScreaminTrumpet

ScreaminTrumpet New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    I must put in a good word for Scherzer. This is the piccolo that I own and I love it. It is a rotary valve picc, so that is a consideration for whatever work you will be doing on it. It has a gorgeous sound....nice and smooth. It is about the most mellow picc I have ever heard.....but not too mellow of course. Dark is a better word for it. If you get a chance, check one out....you might like it.