Picking out a Picc

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Annie, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Thankyou!

Out of curiosity, is anyone selling a picc?

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    annie,

any new info on the piccolo search? did you get to try any out yet?

jason

3. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Has anyone tried the Courtois picc? With a .464 bore, you'd think more people would have at least tried it.

4. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    For those of you out there with stomvi piccs;

I just got a Blackburn pipe in A for mine. It really helps out!

6. riffdawg2000

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Which model of pipes did you get from Blackburn??

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    hey joel,

from what they told me they only make one model for the stomvi piccolo. it is a trumpet shank pipe with an "sv" on the side. it doenst make me sound like Maurice André but every little bit helps and you are more than welcome to give it a try sometime.

jason

btw are you going to hear Chris Martin play the Haydn tonight?

8. riffdawg2000

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Jason -

Nope ... no Chris Martin tonight ... I forgot all about it ... I already heard him play the Haydn last fall @ Emory and the 1st mvt during the 'Donor Appreciation' concert in June.

Yea ... I would like to try the Blackburn pipe in my Stomvi ... BTW, if you have not done it yet...I HIGHLY recommend you get Wayne @ Brass Bow to do a PVA on your piccolo ... it'll run about $145 + shipping back and forth. My Stomvi Elite Piccolo was pretty good when I first got it ... after the PVA...it's AMAZING!

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I dont have the $ for a PVA any time soon and i am not 100% sure i believe it will make that big of a difference.

but back to the orginal question about picking out a piccolo.

with options like PVA and aftermarket leadpipes why pay the big $ for a top line piccolo?

it seems to me that it is easy enough just to piece it together on your own. and save major $!

Any body else have a different take on this?

and joel:

i will be in atlanta for a lesson on the 7th of august. lets meet up for some duets :)

10. riffdawg2000

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Jason -

Okay...cool...but trust me - the PVA is worth it .... let's hook up and go Piccolo v/s Piccolo (since we have the same piccolo .... and see which one plays better ... I *might* convince you the PVA is worth it! :) And YOU might convience *me* that the Blackburn pipe is worth it. :)

Duets are cool for 8/7. I should have another lesson that day also ... Email me at home and we can sync up.

And yes .... I am a firm believer in buy 'stock' and improving a horn. I.E. my Bach C trumpet. Replaced leadpipe w/ Blackburn 19-350 Leadpipe, PVA and BIAS analysis performed - solder 'mistakes' corrected, de-stressing of braces ... and .... NOW I feel my Bach plays better than most other C trumpets I have tried! But, that is just me ...