Picking out a Picc

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Annie, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I decided to wait on getting a picc because a - I don't have any idea about the mouthpieces, or even own a picc mouthpiece and b - I need to save money for college...thanks for the info though.

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    well annie, i wouldnt shy away from buying a piccolo just becasue of the mouthpiece issue. while I spent alot of time finding the "right" mouthpiece( as i think everyone does) I could have shorted the search time greatly if i would have had a better selection of pieces to choose from at the local store.

i know have said it before buti will again say a plug for the Laskey piccolo mouthpiece. I cant play for anything on shallow mouthpieces (ie 14a4a), i dont have the probelm on laskey's. I had an email that he sent me in which he explains the detials of what he thinks is a good piccolo mouthpiece etc..really long with tons of great info.... but I was a dumb @$$ and deleted it a while back. i would highly recommend you give him a call when you do decide to get a piccolo.

Joel,

I will shoot you an email later...

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Yeah, you generally match a mouthpiece to an instrument, not the other way around. You shouldn't bother trying to match a picc mouthpiec until you can play picc with some proficiency. Use your normal mouthpiece for 6 months to a year, then start searching for a better match.

....unless you've playing something extreme. If you're playing a 1 or 1 1/2 on your Bb then you might pick up a cheap 7c 7e or something for your picc. Then practice for a few months, then try and match a mouthpiece.

Hope that helps. :-)

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    yes trumpetpimp,that was the point i was trying to make to..thanks for putting it a little clearer, i was simply trying to make the point that one might need to consider the mouthpiece issue, i hope i didnt imply that one should pick it out before hand.

everyone has to find take time to match a mouthpiece to the horn for pic...and you cant do it if you dont have a picc.