picking up music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Feb 5, 2013.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    not strictly related to trumpet -but to any instrument I play

For example, yesterday I had a music im my head "when I need you" and I sat behind piano and I instantly picked it up C, bB , A , G, G, A , bB, bB etc etc and underlying harmony as well C7, Fmaj7, E dim etc etc...

but for instance when I tried to pick up "I'd rather go blind" than I hit problems

Why are some scores so easy to pick and some so difficult?

Also do you use some special technique -like intervals or such?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    There are some chord progressions that are just very very common in popular music. From looking at the notes you mentioned above, I think the chord progression has lots of I, IV, V, and ii chords in it. The other one might have lots of minor or diminished chords, or be based upon a different scale than major, and maybe your ear or fingers don't pick up the chords as easily. Music theory is fun. :)

3. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    This is a deep rabbit hole.

Chord sequences are sometimes called cadences. Some cadences are simple (Pachabel's Canon in D) and some are not (most anything by Beethoven). You start off learning notations like Misty is talking about, and then it flips you on your head when you get into complex inversions and tonal transitions. Now, to me, I also think this part of music theory is fun. But trying to "decompile" a piece of music down to every inversion and transition is maddening.

Now, some people have an ear for it. It's a matter of identifying the chord's root, tonality, and inversion. There's a lot of ear training there, and even though I studied this in school, I can't do it at the drop of a hat like, say, my aunt (an accomplished professional pianist and organist) can. Once you get to where the identification comes as second nature, then it becomes easier. But getting to that stage can be pretty difficult for some, and it really does take a certain kind of person to be able to pick off tones like that.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I use to play in a top 40 band back in cough cough ahem ... everyone in the band would pick a different song and then come to the rehersal ready to teach everyone their parts ( the vocalist handled that part between themselves).
    If a tune was really hard to pick up, perhaps the recording had the horns in the back of the track or the interval was triky I would slow it down ( back in the day a reel to reel). It just gets easier with experience. I also listen to the bass track .. usually a great indicator what the chord is based ( no pun intened) off of and then from their some of the more tricky runs make sence.
    It also never hurts to find a familiar song that starts off with an interval to help learn how they sound
    ie
    Here Comes the Brides ... Her Comes is a fourth
    West Side Story's Maria .. Ma-Ri is a tri tone

5. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Dave,

Before or after the Civil War?

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    NBC chimes = 6th

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Which reminds that one of the most useful activities in developing this is ear training. There is a website: musictheory.net which has fun exercises. Also playing intervals back and forth (call, response) with another musician is fun.

8. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Get your interval examples here....

coolerdave likes this.
  9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Nice sites :)