Pics of my new ZKT 1525!!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, Jun 26, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Hello all,

Just picked (no pun) up a new flugel from Pick Music and thought you would like to take a look. What a great horn. I just hope my playing can do it justice!! Hopefully the link work. The password should be flugel. Enjoy!

Jon

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v289/aevin/

2. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    She's a pretty one, that's for sure! Enjoy those great Kanstul valves. I've played a few Kanstul flugels, but don't remember ever playing a copper bell. Very nice!

3. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    I must say, that horn looks very nice.
    I also must say that the construction of flugels are very interesting.
    the mpc is below the bell, and the valves, don't get me started on those.

4. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    I have always thought that the 1525 was the best flugelhorn I have ever played & I have played a lot of them.

It has such a nice dark and mellow tone that sounds so nice. Of course you got it from PICK music who not only has very competitive prices on all their trumpets and flugelhorns but also provides outstanding service. It looks great!

Mike

5. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Jon,

Congratulations on your good taste (I have the same horn :) )

Enjoy.

Regards,

Trevor

PS. I found that a brighter sounding mouthpiece balanced well with it but I don't want to start you on a mp safari. If you're happy with the one you've got go with it!!

6. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    What mouthpiece do you use?? I have found the same thing. Big mouthpiece on that thing and it sounds like a melophone!! I have the Kanstul 7c. I think it is a good combination. I must say, as nice as this horn sounds it is definitely not the traditional flugel sound. I guess for some that could be good or bad. I happen to like it and the great valves, and terrific intonation don't hurt either. I hope I get a lot of opportunities to play it, for some reason flugels are very underutilized in traditional settings. Thanks for the congrats....

Jon

7. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

I use a GR 3FL..the older GR flugel piece. I believe the new FD is a more 'traditional' flugel mp and the cup is deeper and bore bigger. I have a Denis Wick which is like that and I find it just a bit too much. The 3FL is comparatively shallower and more 'trumpet' like. If you like the sound of the Kanstul 7c stick with it. Agree with you about the sound...but isn't it absolutely fantastic??

Work those valves in and they'll feel even better. Intonation is as good as any of my trumpets.

I try to use it whenever I can. If anybody says 'come and have a blow, we're doing standards' I grab Fake books and flugel and just relax and play. If you play in a big band then try it on balads (particularly soloing). Around Xmas, carols sound great on it. Try Haydn on it as well..sounds fantastic, particularly the second movt. I also find that it suits my mentality as a musician. If I pick up a trumpet like most other guys once I'm warm I'll blast away to the top of my range (ego thing). There's not a lot of point on the flugel (you can but it just doesn't cut through) so it forces you to look at how 'musical' your playing is. If I'm improvising on flugel I'm hearing more melodic lines than I would do on trumpet (but probably less rhythmically challenging).

Anyhow, it's just my take on it.

Regards,

Trevor