Pictures concert

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Tarter_trpt8, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny,

I'll be at the concert Saturday night but I wanted to know how it went Thursday?? I'll be listening tonight on the radio as well...fill us in!

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, Jeremy...

Thanks for asking, it went just dandily. Abbado is asking for some new, cool ways of approaching some things. The Promenade is very smooth and Goldenberg is fascinating!

He wants the Goldenberg to be really whining and crying. As a result, the style is more legato and there's a great variation in dynamics... different diminuendi and crescendi! I've never enjoyed playing it more, it's so different.

Anyway, have fun and bring a part with you to the show... you'll get a better idea of how different the things he's asking are.

Enjoy the show!

ML

3. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Manny,

Glad to hear the concert went well last night.

I'll be up there tonight (Friday), and after the week I've had, a relaxing evening out is just what the doctor ordered.

Have a great concert.

Warren

4. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    You suck, Warren!!

I'm stuck in the dungeon that is the Rochester Civic Theater pit covering for you while you're off enjoying an evening of fine music.....

(notice how I indirectly disassociated our pit with "fine music"?)

Just kidding....go have a good time. The last time I heard the MO do pictures was years ago when they did a different arrangement of each part (I think the promenade and the Great Gate of Kiev was the Ravel, but they used a different composer for all the other sections). It was interesting....

just couldn't help expressing a little envy, there....

5. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    :laughwave:

Sorry Richard.
    I'm sure the pit will be fine musical fare in it's own right. Have fun tomorrow night as well, I'm still not able to play for a few more days.

Warren

:bleah:

6. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Pictures? As in "Pictures at an Exhibition"?

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ding, ding, ding!!!

Tell'er what she's won, Johnny!;-)

ML

8. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Awesome! We're playing that this sunday in the Wind Ensemble! Not nearly as well though...

9. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Annie,

Good luck and have fun playing Pictures Sunday. I played it with the Austin (MN) Symphony about a month ago, and what a blast that was.

Warren

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, well not only that...

Warren plays the SG and S movement on the C trumpet and does a damned good job! He did it for me when we got together and I thought to myself "Harry Glantz must be smiling somewhere in heaven".

ML