Pictures of your trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Jan 9, 2008.

1. max3k

max3k Mezzo Piano User

Jan 7, 2007
    That is my Stage 1 California Bb by the New York Trumpet Company

Felix was great to work with on the customization. give him a ring if you're looking for a new horn.

2. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I knew it was by NYTC because it had the Stage 1 logo on the leadpipe. Did you just give Felix a call and he did everything you wanted to the horn?

BTW, is it a really great horn? (just checking)

3. hornguy

hornguy New Friend

Dec 30, 2006
    I got it a couple years ago just like that. It has one tube patch and a different connector where the bell comes out of the first valve. Other than that, it's original. All the number match.

It's a large bore. Play really nice.

4. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I just don't know about large bore instruments. I'm not sure what bore mine is, but it's a student Bach, and I played a large bore Strad one time. It was a light version, but I couldn't play it very well. Does it just take practice to get used to a larger bore? That is just a beautiful instrument.

5. hornguy

hornguy New Friend

Dec 30, 2006
    It's in your head. The difference between a large bore Bach and a ML Bach is 3 thousanths (.003)(.462 v .459).

I have a 37 lightweight from the 70s. I switch between the two and can't tell the difference. Of course, I double on trombone and switch back and forth all night and don't think about it.

6. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

Hey max how does that horn play? The next Bb I'm gonna get is gonna be a nice one, and ultimatley i might go with Monette, but I've never played with a NYTC or a Monette, so its just based one what I've heard right now.

7. max3k

max3k Mezzo Piano User

Jan 7, 2007
    Short Review on Stage 1 California Custom

Having never played a Monette, I cannot compare the two. I'm sure one of the Stage 1 owners on this site or even Felix can comment better on that. However, I can tell you that this is by far the best trumpet I have ever played. The copper bell is ridiculously flexible and could be possibly deadly in the right accoustic environment. I played a church gig last month and I think I saw paint peeling off the back wall.....

I have been using the NYTC Stage 1 mp as well. Its a pretty shallow cup and I've had a lot of enjoyment out of it. I enjoy practicing classical pieces and believe it or not, that combination has been great. I can't wait for the opportunity to let it loose in a big band setting. I just haven't found the right group yet here locally.

A note on Felix at NYTC: I had never ordered a custom trumpet before, so I was a bit hesitant. After reading every post and review about the company on his horns, I decided to move on it. I never played or saw one of his horns in person before ordering. I had an idea of what I wanted to do with the horn and how I wanted it to look. He came through with flying colors. He was always quick to respond to emails and even chatted with me in the chat rooms. I think I called him one time before I ordered it, and that was it. The confidence I placed in Felix was absolutely spot on. I couldn't be happier. He even sent me a loaner California Bb to play while mine was being finished in the final months. The loaner was nice, but cannot compare to the final product.

Sorry for the long winded post, I hope that helps. :cool:

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Want to see an even older horn? Check out this 1870 cornet....;-)

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    max: was your loaned cali light a yellow brass bell? how different would you say either sounded?

10. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Dale, that's a pretty dang old instrument. I can't believe it is in that condition.

max, does Felix loan instruments? I had never heard of that until your post.