Pierre Thibaud

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by robertwhite, Oct 30, 2004.

1. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I got news today from Stephen Burns that Pierre Thibaud has died.
    I'll try to post an obit. as soon as I see one.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bob,

That's a shame... he couldn't have been over 60, could he?

ML

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    From: http://www.trumpetguild.org/news/news04/263thibaud.htm

Virtuoso and acclaimed teacher Pierre Thibaud died at his home in Paris on Friday 29th October. He was 75 years old.

Having earlier been first trumpet of the Israel Philharmonic orchestra and in the band of the Garde Républicaine, Thibaud was Principal Trumpet at the Paris Opera from 1966 to 1992, and professor at the Paris Conservatoire from 1975 to 1994. Håkan Hardenberger is among the many eminent players who have studied with him.

Stephen Burns writes: "His great virtuosity and expression were only surpassed by his limitless passion for the trumpet and boundless generosity as a teacher and champion of contemporary music.

"The whole trumpet world will miss this great artist/teacher."

The funeral will take place on Wednesday 3rd November.

Dr Edward Tarr is writing a full obituary for the ITG. This will be made available online and will be printed in the next available ITG Journal.

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
  5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    This is a very sad news indeed....Thibaud was one of the first trumpeters whose recordings I got in my CD collection. Great musician, and even greater teacher...There would not have been Hakan Hardenberger if there was no Thibaud first

6. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I bumped into these photos recently and thought I would post them here. I’m guessing that the picture of Thibaud when he was a young man was taken at about the time that he played the Brandenburg recording that was on Voyager. He was Principal Trumpet with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra at this time (1960-1964) and then in 1966 became Principal Trumpet with Paris Opera.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    oops

8. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks for posting those, Derek.