Pimping a music stand.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Feb 5, 2012.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Hey guys. My setup for playing at church is a Shure 57 mic placed directly in front of a music stand to keep from blasting those in my "path". I'm thinking of adding "wings" to both sides to further deflect sound and using some sort of fabric so the sound doesn't bounce back so harshly on me. Anyone have any ideas or websites I might visit to help in this DIY project?

2. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I used to play with a praise band, and the guitar player (who, btw, chose to stand in front of my riser) was always complaining about his "hearing." So the church bought one of those Sound Back plexiglass circular disks, which fit basically around the mike. If you're not familiar with them, their main purpose IS to reflect your tone back to you, which they do. But they apparently also offer a bit of "protection" for people directly in front of you.
    Especially useful for protecting somewhat whiney guitar players. ;-)

Brad361

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    with wings, you also might want to think about a "halo" above the music stand, providing your music is heavenly!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

make sure the wings are white!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

these could all be designed and used to reflect the sound back to the mic, and also look very cool for a church -- also might want to set the stand on a white cotton towel or something -- to dampen the sound and vibrations of the stand on the floor, and also make it look like it is on a cloud!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I'll check those out. Might save me a whole lot of time. Thanks!!

5. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Worst comes to worst you could always try the good old Crown Royal bag over the bell of your horn trick. Sometimes it takes just enough edge off of things.

6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    The plexiglass is what most churches use. It is also the simplest. Otherwise just play directly into your stand with the microphone tilted downward.