Pimple on my lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    It's just a small one, but I'm scared to play because of it, as I damaged my lips once by playing until the pimple popped and bled.

Is there any way to make it go away faster? Anything better than soap? I'm glad I don't have a gig, but I'm still frustrated because I had a zit on my lip like 3 weeks ago, and now I have another one.

Or is there a way to prevent these pimples? I wash my face every day. Maybe I just ought to clean my lips really well every day...

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Only your doctor can tell you if the pimple is a result of hygiene, emotions, hormones or diet. The cure depends on the disease. In every case, infections are the result of some stimuli. I have had a couple of students that did not get long with a silver plated mouthpiece. We switched to a gold plated rim, and the pimple issue disappeared. The same holds true for mouthpieces with worn plating. Brass can cause issues. Stainless steel mouthpieces can be problematic due to traces of nickel.

A little bit of detective work is required here. Only change one thing at a time. Although I don't recommend it for others. I get relief by early popping of the pimples with a sterile needle. I have never had good luck with topological antibiotics.

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Don't worry - in another 5 years you won't get as many pimples. Then it's another 35-40 before they go away altogether. In the meantime look thoroughly for other ways to deal with acne, and do whatever seems to work; there are a lot of ways to overcome the problem that just weren't available when I was young. It's usually not recommended to pop 'em, but that always worked best for me. Your experience may differ. Good luck!

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I open them with a sterile needle then let them drain. I might try to express the purulent material, but very, very gently (you can do more damage (bruising) with your fingers than the actual pimple. Anyway, after that I keep it painted with iodine (that's right, the ouchie orange/red stuff) until it has dried out. Of course, you don't want to touch the site with dirty fingers, use a sterile 4X4 gauze pad over your fingers--after you have washed your hands very well with very hot water for a very long time. Anyway, that's what works for me.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I used to alternate heat and cold on the pimple while watching TV. This seemed to "ripen" the pimple, making for a satisfying "pop." Not enough to hit the mirror, but enough to get the junk out.

Be sure to keep your mouthpiece clean, as well.

For what it is worth, pimples don't hurt nearly as much as getting a mustache hair trapped under the rim!

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Nothing like a ripe pimple splattering on the mirror...:-P

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    +1 on the mustache hair,VB:-o:roll::lol::oops:

8. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Thanks for the tips.

For what it is worth, pimples don't hurt nearly as much as getting a mustache hair trapped under the rim!
    Ouch, I hope it never happens to anyone in the middle of a solo. o_O