Pimples/cold sores/etc. on the lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SenorTaco, Feb 19, 2012.

1. SenorTaco

SenorTaco New Friend

Feb 16, 2009
    Weslaco, TX
    Does anyone have any experience with playing with a massive pimple on their lip (mother is convinced it's a cold sore, but it looks, feels and acts like a pimple)? Or better yet, does anyone know why they occur and how to avoid/get rid of them? I've gotten them before and normally I just lay off for a couple of days, but I have way too much this coming week (9 performances and a couple rehearsals for my junior recital next week).

Any help? :/

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Used to get them all the time in high school, no idea where they came from. Usually they decided to come RIGHT BEFORE performances, and they were rather uncomfortable/painful, so I would (IN THE PAST) take a safety pin and pop/dig them out. Worked for me at the time...but I DON'T SUGGEST THIS. I'm just as curious to know the solution.

Should I repeat? Don't stick yourself with a needle. I just was providing an anecdote from the past.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Hormones play a role in developing those darn thing things. But dietary mesaures can reduce pimples/acne. Cut out all refined sugars/grains from the diet. Eat lots of greens, vitamin a rich stuff does wonders for the skin. Going to a no grain diet is absolute torture at first but can help a great deal.

Do not play if the cut is going to be painful. The great Freddy Hubbard had one lip infection so bad and it hurt him big time. It is entirely possible you are having a reaction to the metal on the mouthpiece but don't know it. You could try a plastic mouthpiece for a month and see if the irritation goes away.

Canker and cold sores are two different things...Check out this wonderfully visual wiki for hints :)

Aphthous ulcer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aphthous ulcer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As a physician, I am going to ignore young Mark's therapeutic commentary by making the disclaimer, that I read it but completely forgot what he said. What who said? See how good I am at forgetting.

Yes, zits happen on the lip, and it would be in the differential diagnosis of a bump near to on the lip, but cold sores also happen, and we always gotta respect Doctor Mom. If it is a zit, it is due to hormones and bacteria response to hormones. So unless you are Kingtrumpet (who has no hormonal capability what so ever), dealing with the hormonal side is not a likely option (as for females, we do have some birth control options [entirely for hormonal regulation issues] that could be considered). So a clindamycin or erythromycin gel may be a nice preventative option WITHOUT drying out the lips.

5. SenorTaco

SenorTaco New Friend

Feb 16, 2009
    Weslaco, TX
    Well, I've only had two in the last 3+ years, from what I can remember, so I don't think it's an issue with the metal. Before that, I used to get them somewhat frequently, and I always thought they were due to stress, but from the situation of these last two, I don't think that would be it, as I'm not very stressed right now and have been much MUCH more stressed at other times. My diet is normally extremely healthy, but this past week was a bit off, so that seems like the most logical cause in this instance.

Actually, come to think of it, the silver plating on my mouthpiece has begun to chip. Perhaps the metal underneath is also causing problem?

6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
  7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I just got rid of one, they come at the worst times. I do what Mark does, I get a sewing needle(not as safe as a safty pin) and stab it. Then I squeeze it and put some cream stuff on it and it goes away. The bad part, it may be sore because I stabbed my lip. I only stab it if it is the deep kind, like what I think you have. I would not stab it, it hurts.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    A real, honest-to-goodness DOCTOR of the MEDICAL KIND has pretty much told folks NOT to use a needle on a what they perceive to be a pimple.
    Go ahead and keep doing it. Maybe you'll push the infection really deep and it will take a REAL DOCTOR to get rid of it for you. Maybe you'll just pick up some nasty bacteria from the needle and get a different kind of infection.
    RT

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My take on it - if it's a cold sore, get some Abreva on it immediately...the stuff really works. If it's a pimple and can be easily drained, do it. If not, leave it alone until it's ready.

I had a 3-day playing gig in St. Louis a few years ago, and on the way there, I felt a cold sore coming in the center of my lower lip. I managed to make it through the gig, but it was a painful 3 days and my tone wasn't the best. After that, I discovered Abreva - it will stop a cold sore before it really gets started, and if one is already there, it will dry it up much quicker.

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    The last thing I do (yes, I'm 56 and STILL get zits on my lips and in other places:oops:) is to pop it with anything. Normally it is not an issue, but recently, I had folliculitis on my left leg from an ingrown hair which caused fever, chills, and body aches. A couple of rounds of antibiotics cleared it, but the scar is still there. In this day of MRSA (Methicillin-resitant staphlococcus aureus) you need to play it safe. If the bump occurs IN the lip, as one of mine did, see a doctor. Mine was a benign hemangioma requiring surgery...fun. All I ever wanted was to outgrow zits on my lips, but that hasn't happened. And mine always came before a performance or a tryout!:thumbdown: