Pimples/cold sores/etc. on the lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SenorTaco, Feb 19, 2012.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I had one on the top of my lip last year that saw so big the mouthpiece was sliding off its placement into side location. It was very painful and disruptive for about a week. I did try the advice given here. I used a tweezers to pluck the hair out of the middle then put a bandaid with alcohol on it over night. I kept practicing with the more side location until I coupld place the mouthpice where it really belonged.

BrotherBACH

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    BrotherBACH, I could have done that for you after the $15 co-pay; AND a cute nurse would have checked you in!

3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Be careful....Don't end up like me with a permanently damaged lip due improperly handling a heavy playing schedule with a cold sore!

I would suggest:

1)some sort of cream/balm designed to handle acne, cold sores, or whatever it is. I put on Carmex whenever I notice a canker (when it's close enough to the outer lip to be a problem) or cold sore starting. Even though it doesn't say it's for cankers....(ask a doc?)
    2)Put on some a layer of some sort of chapstick (or whatever works for you) on the performances, if possible. I've had to do this a few times.
    3)As soon as the big playing load is over and there is ANY sign of damage caused by playing on the zit/cold sore (esp. if its bleeding), rest for a several days. Do not play anything at all unless you absolutely have to. If you don't, the consequences, can be severe! Failing to do this step, #3, is what destroyed my upper lip...

Well, it doesn't "destroy" my lip. It just damaged it in a way that, perhaps, as long as I live, I will never be able to play loud for lengthy periods of time every day.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You have a cute nurse?

5. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    OK, now advice from a second real doctor. If you have a pimple, leave it alone. Wash your face at least twice a day with a nice, basic soap. But don't mash, squeeze, or pop it unless you want to risk some serious problems. If it is really a cold sore/fever blister, you can try one of the topical ointments available for this problem.

Most importantly, if either of these are such frequent issues that you would ask advice on a public and fairly anonymous forum such as this, then please consider seeing a dermatologist to get some real medical advice.

Doctor by day, trumpet wannabe by night (when my wife lets me)
    Harrelson Bravura Bflat
    Harrelson Bravura C
    Selmer Radial Bflat
    Conn Vintage One Bflat
    Getzen Eterna cornet
    Kanstul 920 picc
    Hub van Laar Oiram ack Flugel
    and - sometimes an Alphorn

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    That settles it. Home remedies are out!

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Put a little gasoline on it, and set it on fire.

.....That, or a few drops of battery acid, or drain cleaner.

...NOT!:lol:

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I'm using almost those treatments on an obstinate wart at present..arc welder is the next step...a hyper-hyfrecator :shhh:.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Two words: Duck Tape.

That'll be a $15 co-pay, email me and I will send you the address for which to mail the payment... (hay, I gotta keep my cute nurse happy).

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Absolutely, but let's keep this from Vulgano Brother, not sure I can deal with yet another needy patient.