Pinched or squeezed notes as I go up the register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetfart123, Aug 4, 2018.

1. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi Guys,

I have had the problem that has dogged my playing for years. I have just moved from a 7c mouthpiece to a 1 1/2 c which I am due to get in the post next week. So hopefully this will be part of the solution. If I play a scale legato I can get the notes high so they don't sound pinched or shrill, but when I play a piece my high notes sound awful. I also have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome so my skin and muscle tone is much weaker than norm. I usually practice a good half hour per day. Any advise would be really welcomed.

Thanks for reading.

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Caruso studies will help you build the muscles to where you are confident enough in your own strength that you don't resort to pressing or pinching. Also why did you jump that many sizes away? You went from one of the smallest mouth pieces to one of the largest.

3. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Like Dylan said: "if you got a cold, take a shot of malaria".

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpetfart,
    bad things happen because you are doing stupid things. These are very well documented and commented in your other thread on choosing between a 3C and 7C. Things do not work because you have not trained your face to do them. Instead of solving the problem, you create a bigger one by changing mouthpieces which will confuse your face for at least a couple of months.

If we approach a problem brainlessly, how can we expect positive results? Luck?? That currently seems to be the only thing that you can bank on.

The solution for the audition would have been to stick with the 3c or 7c and simply get a decent routine. You made up a story about too big and too little. You do not listen, so crash and burn. Maybe the future has better things in store for you.

J. Jericho and Dennis78 like this.
  5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    By switching to a 1 1/2c you’re likely to lose range as it is a much bigger piece. In turn you will press harder and squeeze more and sound worse.
    Get back on the 7c and use it until it is not a problem then you can decide if you want another piece.

J. Jericho likes this.
  6. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi I will have a look at this over the weekend. I think my major problem is with the amount of pressure I am putting on my lips. Many thanks Antony

7. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi Dennis, I think my main problem simply is the amount of pressure I am putting on my lips. I will continue with the 7c and see how things go with less pressure. Many thanks Antony

8. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi Rowuk. I think my main difficulty is with the amount of pressure I am placing on my lips. So I a gonna stick with the 7c for a while till this issues resolves.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    After spending a therapeutic year or so of playing nothing but legato, when I started tonguing again, I found that I was striking the notes flat and having to lip them up to get them in tune with similar end results to what you describe.

I came to the conclusion that tonguing must be pulling air away from my aperture, and that I should try putting a little more air support into the start of a tongued note to compensate. It didn't take much extra to take the strain off my lip, but it's easy to overcook it so it needs a lot of daily practice.

These exercises helped me a lot:

Add 4 beats of double-tonguing in the middle of your long tones exercises. As before, start at second line G and demand perfection of yourself. (This is also a good one for ensuring that you're really hitting the resonant centre of the note). Work your way outwards a semitone at a time alternately.

Practise the French national anthem in F, followed by the Russian in C and the German in F (these keys don't go above the stave). Make them 'tastefully emphatic' throughout. When you're ready, take each to the next key up.

Look for your face being relaxed on every note and every note being good.

It worked, and continues to work for me. But then, I normally invest a little more than 30 minutes a day.

GeorgeB and J. Jericho like this.
  10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It takes more than a half hour a day to build a high register, especially on a 1 1/2 C.

J. Jericho likes this.