Pink Baby Monster

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Does anybody else out there think this CD is awesome? For those who aren't familiar, Pink Baby Monster is Mark Gould's new group that he has been focusing on after leaving the Met. A lot of people describe it to me as "Gould's rap group," which, after hearing it, I think is an incorrect label. I see it more as post-modern fusion, maybe what Miles would be doing now if he had lived another decade. I think this CD is also part of a growing trend of classical musicians who instead of completely "crossing over" have spent a lot of time on "side projects" that often include not jazz but more of what Gunther Schuller would call "Third Stream." Any comments? I know a few of Gould's students have posted here before, so maybe the could enlighten us...

-Jimi

PS Here is the website if anyone is curious: http://www.pinkbabymonster.com/

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    PBM

edited-meant to be a PM

3. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Last year at the NY Brass Conference they had a tribute concert to Mark Gould. Some nice trumpet ensemble music and anecdotes from famous musicians, with an HOUR AND A HALF of Pink Baby Monster in the middle. Had it been 10 or even 20 minutes, that would have been fine. But wow. If I didn't care about looking rude, I would have walked out. The audience was MUCH smaller after the intermission.

Very talented players, I just don't understand the noise.

4. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    I've heard some of this album........funny stuff. Sounds like Gould is having a mid-life crisis, though.

romey

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    ROFL sha-dump boom!

6. CGUM

CGUM Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2005
    Mark Gould and PMB reminds me of a Hunter S. Thompson quote-

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

And for what it's worth I think it's cool stuff.

CG

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Great quote. And just for the record, I was laughing at what Romey said, not who or what he said it about. I honestly have not heard PMB and have no opinion. I will have to check it out though. My curiousity is piqued.