pink spots?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    :D Here ya go Alex:# 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple slices or chunks in juice
    # 3 tablespoons honey
    # 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    # 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    # 1 tablespoon Jamaican jerk seasoning
    # 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    # 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    # 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
    # 1/4 teaspoon salt.
    she said put tit in ya meat wooman.
    I told her your burger recipe.

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow! How yummy that sounds! Thank you so much Clarence. I can't wait to chef it up one night soon and give it a try. Thank your mom for me too! :D

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    yOUR VERY WELCOME! :D

4. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    i also have this brown spot on the end of the spit valve slid next to the third valve.... it has a dink on it too! I never dropped my trumpet for it to *dent* there.... what should i do

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    TAF, it sounds like you need to break down and take it in to be looked at by a qualified professional instrument technician. Advice from a forum will not be able to repair what is going on with your instrument. The sooner you tend to it, the better, from the sound of things.

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    red rot is an nasty customer i had to replace leadpipes on my Bb and C because of it and will need to again. 6 months after getting it it already started pitting and within a year shows up. it is nothing you do, i clean my horns out every month too. the acid in your salivia that causes it. next time i am going to get gold brass leadpipes have heard that they resist corrosion better then the plain brass (stock bach) leadpipes.

but i second alex, get it to your nearest repair tech.

7. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Keeping the lead pipe, tuning crook and mouthpiece clean will do a lot towards keeping the rest of the horn clean. I do this and the exterior of the horn every day, then clean the entire instrument every month. Brass is made of copper and zinc. The acid in our systems leaches the zinc from the brass. This is red rot. On laquered instruments this shows up as small pink spots, usually on the lead pipe as this is where most of the gunk from your mouth accumulates. On silver horns the plating flakes off. It is sort of like cavaties in your teeth. Much of this depends on the acidity of the individual's system. Brass is tough stuff and resists corrosion. This is why it is used on boats. But it is no match for a person with an acidic system.

8. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    A note on the red rot. Usually happens in the leadpipe first. Cause is you.

Your spit has calcium in it and if left to build up in the horn it reacts with the brass displacing the zinc. When the zinc is gone you are left with copper - thus the "pink" or "red" color. The copper is now porous and allows air to escape and your tone to go to pot. Once you can see it on the outside of the horn you know the inside is shot. Then your option is to replace the leadpipe - if it has gone father down the horn, then replace the horn. This is a non-repairable item.

The periodic chemical cleaning is the prevention. But I would do the soap and water trick right after getting it back, followed by a lot of valve oil down the leadpipe before putting it back into service. The chemical clean can leave some sensitive surfaces.

The green stuff might be the copper corroding, or maybe some really old roast beef.

9. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    my band director says its tarnished and its from my hands he told me to take it to the store and see what they can do and get a leather holding thingy for the trumpet so i dont touch the trumpet

10. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    It does have alot to do with enzymes in your saliva, but when it gets ot the outside it could have something to do with the oil in your hands. I have such oily hands that when we march I have to wear cotton gloves and I always have a valve guard on no matter the situation. My horn is already loosing finish on areas where my skin touches it and is unprotected. Most notably the bottom of the leadpipe between the 1st and 2nd valve. Also, the area connecting the 1st valve to the bell crook. Nasty stuff. Darn my oily hands! :x