Pinky ring question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterjake, Aug 29, 2012.

1. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    I looked around the forums and couldn't find a answer so here it goes:

My director made a statement today that I have bad posture. He pointed out that I held my horn with my pinky in the pinky ring. He asked if I knew why you arn't supposed to do that and I responded "well beginners use it to increase pressure and that causes swelling along with other problems". I was then corrected by him and told that the main reason why is that it causes people to push the valves down at an angle, in time damaging the valves. My response was you can also push the valves down at an angle whether your pinky is in the ring or not. But according to him I was wrong so I shut up, choosing to remain respectful.

The main reason why I put my pink in the pinky ring is because I just like it there. I always pay attention to whether or not it's causing me to use pressure, and it hasn't so far. Is he right? Have I just never heard of this? I'm not for sure what to believe, because this same man wanted me to switch from my schilke 5a4 to a bach 1C for marching band, so I could play higher and get more projection . He said "thats what all the good players do". PS: He plays sax.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    There are horns, such a the Holton in my signature that were made without any pinky rings. Many trumpet teachers encourage students to not put their finger in the ring as not hooking the pinky serves two positive purposes: 1) it helps one keep fingers curled directly over the valves so you push them straight down and not at an angle. 2) it encourages the player not to pull the mouthpiece into the lips with force- hence reducing pressure. I had 3 private instructors growing up and all said avoid the pinky.

Keep in mind when you are learning, you are developing habits that you will have the rest of your life. It may take a little effort to adopt a good habit- but it takes much, much more effort to break a bad habit once it is engrained.

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I think this statement by you about your finger placement says it all, no need to delve any further, as long as you are striking the valves hard and fast there's no issue .
    the rest of this statement is a complete joke. I kind of take an offence if an uneducated sax player is telling a brass player about their setup, sounds like he's a bit of a wanker.

4. trumpeterjake

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Yes, I agree. But I promise my pinky is just there because I don't like it anywhere else. I've always curled my hands correctly and such. I was just asking if it really warps the valves like he says it does. Because i've never heard of that from any of my previous teachers. Or is this a classic example or someone who talks a lot or knows everything? He's said wrong information before that when he left my sections area I was quick to tell them the facts. (he has told my freshmen players in my section that they need to TIGHTEN up the middle tissue of the lips to increase pressure so they can play high notes)

5. trumpeterjake

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Thanks! He makes me constantly thank twice about my what I already know is correct. So I wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging my horn...

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you were the only player of the horn over the next 50+ years, you might wear a pattern into the valves. Being a sax player, he is probably just repeating what he has heard. It's standard fare for beginning players for the already stated reasons. I will throw this out ( and feel free if you're an orthopedist to correct me). The pinky and 4th finger share tendons/ligaments that cause less free movement in the 4th finger if the pinky is grounded to the ring. Ergo you have less dexterity for the 3rd valve when your pinky is anchored in.
    Also, even if your correct, quickest way to the doghouse is to "correct" the teacher (so I've heard :roll:).

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    "This is the way I choose to play. Feel free to give me an F. I'm not changing to suit you."

Tom

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    OK, that said, get your finger out of the hook unless you're making mute changes. :-) You'll be faster if you do. You can't really criticize "proper" technique if you never use it. A high curved hand has been taught the same way for 150 years because it works.

Tom

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I find the pinky ring gets in the way. No teacher told me to or not to use it... just with years of playing... I have learned to avoid placing pressure there... I also feel it gets in the way. I have a nice stable of vintage horns, but had the opportunity to receintly buy a brand new... literally made to order horn, my 1526 Kanstul. I put in the order to make it without the pinky ring, they did. I love the freedom I have and comfort in just knowing there is no way it will get in my way.

10. trumpeterjake

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    He won't give me an F. I've seen very good players play with and without using the pinky ring, I personaly think it depends on how its held. I don't rap my pinky around it. It loosely touches the tip of the open ring, I should have clarified that better. My other teacher I go to for help is a actual trumpet player and has never corrected me. He's said "you play well, so what your doing is working, so why would you make things complicated and change it?" But my question for this post was if he was accurate or not that it would screw up my horn. But I will try to not touch the ring at all anymore.... If it truely makes playing that big of a difference...