Pinky ring question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterjake, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    After being struck with a ruler for putting my pinky in there, I learned quickly to rest my pinky on the top of the ring. Catholic school will do that to you. :dontknow:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Like I said, in 50 years (especially if its that 6335).

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Totally optional.

One of the fastest, cleanest trumpeters around .... Lee Morgan .... Always played with his pinky IN THE RING. Who you gonna trust? Lee Morgan or your band director???

Turtle

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Try using a plunger mute without using the pinky ring to help support the trumpet. Kinda awkward, huh? Personally (and this is what it really boils down to for all of us, since there are excellent players who do and excellent players who don't use the pinky ring), I've played both ways, and I'm comfortable with my pinky in the ring. For me, it's a natural place for that finger, and if it feels awkward on a particular horn, I reposition the ring so it's comfortable.

I wonder how your director would respond to a suggestion that he invert his sax mouthpiece so the reed is on top.... If the suggestion came from you, it might affect your grade, though not in a positive way. Don't consider this encouragement to confront your director, but don't consider it discouragement, either. I'll bet I'm not alone in saying that I've had an argument with a director or two along the way; it's part of our assertiveness as trumpet players. Sometimes it causes enmity, sometimes it creates respect.

Bottom line - do what works for you.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    I made it sound like I was disrespectful to my teacher. I wasn't - just wanted to put that out there. He's the new band director this year and he has only done things to confuse people in my section and attemp to tell them to get better horns and pieces to get better. It's no longer fun to be in band at this point. Untill last week he would tell me as he passed out music that "jacob be careful with the key signature, this song is tough" At this point i get exited because I like being pushed and I thought it was going to be a cool classical piece, only to find it was a pepband song with 3 sharps and some odd phrases....Sometimes it puts me in a annoyed mood.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    In the ring also makes it easier to hold a heavy horn (my Carol Brass) for long periods of time.

Turtle

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    If you took your eyes off the music and the director for a moment and checked out some of the flute and clarinet players, your attitude might change....

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Excessive arm pressure is caused by excessive arm pressure. Not pinky rings... Let me know if I'm going too fast...

1. Maynard played with flat fingers and was lightning fast. In addition had improvisational skills well beyond that of most jazz players. And that's before we even begin to discuss his upper register.

2. Dizzy puffed his cheeks. Used a very shallow mouthpiece too. (Al Cass 2-28)

3. Al Hirt, another flat fingered player who was extremely fast. Also played a very shallow mouthpiece (Jet Tone "Al Hirt" model)

According to your band director these are major playing faults. Who's he trying to fool?

Idiot.

SHOW HIM THIS POST!!! and tell him i wrote it specifically for him. A freaking sax player telling you to blow on the deepest, sharpest edged mouthpiece ever made by Vincent Bach??? A mouthpiece that gives the WORST projection while requiring the most air AND embouchure support

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I do not give advice about reed instruments. Or piano. Won't offer any help on drums, conga, guitar or even vibraslap like this one here:

Freesound.org - "vibraslap_small02.wav" by soundbytez

(not to be confused with the vibrator for personal self service...)

Further I don't offer tips on the stock market, nor throwing a slider to a left handed batter or even where to buy new radials for your car. None are my area of expertise.

So why is this guy telling you all this B/S? In fact Trumpeterjake would be far better off TO DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT THIS FOOL PRESCRIBES!!!

Folks see why I get P/O'ed? Incompetent teachers drive me bonkers. The teacher needs to learn a lesson from my pappy. he said:

"Better to sit in silence and have everyone doubt your sanity rather than open mouth and remove all doubt"

That's what I heard him say.

Again Trumpeterjake: Show this post to your band director.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    What a load of tosh (from your director) he'd love me some times I don't use it often I do. I find with out the anchoring of the finger crook my fingers are a little random they seem to have a mind of their own. In fact one teacher told me to use it for that reason.

But I will allude to another post I made on another thread. Is your sound good and do people enjoy what you play? If they do I don't care if you are playing the damn thing down your right nostril. It's what comes out of the bell that counts not how pretty you look doing it, especially when that desicion is being made be arrrggg a woodwind player

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Just read that bit it sounds as though your band director isn't qualified to direct traffic or conduct a bus. Really Jake he is going to do someone some harm before long, like this business of a mouthpiece swap, I can play on quite deep sharp mouthpieces comfortably because of a quirk of my mush but to suggest that some one does it because that is "what good payers do" is misguided and dangerous. I suppose that by using a double cup parduba Harry James was a poor player, by that logic. Seriously pal I know you want to be respectful but he has done nothing to earn your respect and much to loose it. It may be a case for going above his head. Do you have a trusted adult in school/college (sorry I'm not sure about the American education system) that you could show this thread to because he needs to be stopped before he really does injure some one with his half baked notions about brass playing