Pinky ring question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterjake, Aug 29, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    3 sharps, that's funny. The 1st piece of music I played in church (after a 25 year "break") was in concert E (F#)!!! My brain literally froze! Next song was better being in concert D (E), then to concert A (B) and last but not least, concert Bb (C#). :stars::stars::stars: Personally like pep band stuff . Cut the guy some slack, he's a sax player ( no offense intended to sax players on this forum! If you're reading this, you're cool because you're here!). He's new and it remains to be seen as to whether he's good or bad. Go look up some Charlie Parker, or Sal Nestico quotes and schmooze a little bit. It can't hurt!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I find that MY third valve movement is somewhat speed restricted if my pinky is "anchored" in the pinky ring so I tend not to use the pinky ring - I'm not a Maynard nor a Wilmer Wise - but I play the way it suits me - my hands have short stubby fingers and are generally a little rigid from years of working on the toolbox, so getting the required valve speed is always an issue - but I also need the pinky ring to:
    i. sometimes support the weight of my Bravura,
    ii. fit my various mutes, and
    iii. hold the trumpet more securely when using a plunger.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The two mouthpieces referred to are about as different from one another as can be. The 5A4a Schilke is as small as they make - the Bach 1C is nearly the largest. Why he would think the latter would yield better high range goes totally against popular (not necessariy correct) thought on that subject. That said, the Schilke piece is at one extreme and the Bach is at the other, and you might actually benefit from something more in the middle.

But the approach I recommend is to be agreeable with the BD, appear to take his advice as much as you can while at the same time doing what it is you need to do to play your best. You could always buy a Bach mouthpiece with similar internal specs to the 5A4a (well, it will only be close, not the same by any means), and then don't let him get a close look, or grind the darned #s off. It will look Bach, and as long as you don't talk Bach he may be fooled.

And there is nothing wrong with keeping your pinky in the ring, but you may have greater 3rd valve facility if you don't.

I recently picked up a Harrelson 909, so will be joining the Big Pinky Workout Club along with Ted, Gzent, and others.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Nah the thing to do is take a very aggressive approach to this horse's ass. The kid's a TRUMPET PLAYER right? Now is the time to show the band director some spine and tell him you're not going to take it any more. Expose him for the misguided, incompetent person he is and let the chips fall where they may.

A real trumpet player does not have to take crap from anyone.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry, I totally missed this part (my own pet peeve :D). That is some of the lamest mpc advise I've ever seen. 1C is more of a symphonic piece. Your 5a4 is, if I may, the ULTIMATE marching band mpc size wise. Go look at a Kelly screamer and find some posts by Drum Corp folks and small, shallow and piercing is what most want on the field so they cut through. DO NOT TAKE THIS MAN"S MPC. ADVISE FOR MARCHING BAND!!! He's clueless!

6. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I'm paraphrasing something I think Claude Gordon wrote in "Playing Brass Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" or something else he wrote that I read.

Claude goes over finger placement with the student.

Student: But my favorite player (insert player name) puts his pinky in the ring. How come I can't?
    Claude: When you get as good as him (insert player name) you can put your finger anywhere you want. Until then...

tobylou8 likes this.
  7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I was never in band in HS, but I was on the soccer team and we had a CLUELESS coach. He was one of the footbaball coaches and knew nothing about soccer. He was willing to admit it, though and went out seeking help (smart man). He recruited two soccer players from a nearby University (Stanford). These guys became out coaches and we had a winning season.

Your guy doesn't seem like the kind who would admit he needs help. He needs help. He could find it, probably, like our coach did. :dontknow:

Turtle

8. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I generally don't believe the whole argument about using that pinky ring to apply more pressure. I have a whole left arm/hand that can do that much more effectively than my right pinky can.
    I find the pinky ring very convenient to allow one handed holding while turning pages of sheet music or inserting/removing mutes. I do often place my pinky on top of the ring though since I too had a teacher who discouraged it's use. I do feel it's more comfortable to play this way, but I do use the ring/hook when turning pages etc.
    For younger players it can be an uncomfortable stretch between their pinky and ring finger and this can affect their dexterity with valve 3 (a weak finger anyway for youngsters).

the argument about pushing the pistons straight down is valid.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll concur that my speed seems enhanced when I just rest my pinky on top of the hook, and such orients its position for the potential of a 4th valve. I strike the key tops with the tip of my curled fingers, thus my fingernails are cut exremely short.

Yes, for mute changes and plunger (which reminds me to get a new plunger as mine has dry rotted) I'll hook, but don't count on it because I seldom use any mute except my YSB and that's put in the bell during set-up. It's been a long long time, and it will be a much longer time if I march again, but like so, I'd use the hook to hold the instrument more securely. Still, I'd much prefer a "monkey" ring for this purpose. If you're not familiar, such is a right thumb ring, perhaps more popular on the brass bass "hugger" type instruments, but I see no rational why one couldn't be underslung below the leadpipe on a trumpet or other marching trumpet configured instrument.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Just found a new pet peeve see you on the other thread