Pinky ring question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterjake, Aug 29, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You're supposed to dip that thing in water every once in awhile. :roll:

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Clean water, Toby??????:roll::lol::oops:

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Players choice!! :shock:

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    :roll:ROFL:lol:ROFL:lol:;-):oops:

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Because your pinky and ring (3rd) finger share something like a tendon, it is much more difficult to move them independently than with other fingers. So, if your pinky is locked in the pinky hook/ring, your 3rd finger is a little restrained in movement. I understand that there was a hospital in Massachusetts in the 1800s which used to operate on pianists hands to free up these very fingers.

Resident GPs please help!

The pinky hook/ring is intended to assist in fast page turns, and mute usage. It is not an octave key!

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Emotionally I so much agree with Local 357, but practically I understand that you're a high school student. My suggestion about the pinky ring is this: "Yes sir, I'll work on it". Then do what you d****d well please. Next time he mentions it: "Yes sir, I'm working on it". A couple of choices on the mouthpiece change: "I'll discuss it with my private tutor"; or borrow a Bach 1 from someone, bring it to band, put it in your horn and make obnoxious duck like noises through your horn as you play. When he asks what's wrong: "Working on that Bach 1, sir". I'd probably do the latter, but I got into trouble so much it didn't matter much to me. Not only that, I was also good enough that no punishment was ever as sever or long lasting as threatened. By the way, I'm an unrepentant pinky hook holding, flat fingered player.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    While I find this a somewat valid point, for someone in HS this is not the best advice, unless you are prepared to deal with potentially unpleasant consequences. Tact and discretion are not commonly found in the tool kits of trumpet players, but that doesn't mean they aren't awfully good skills to develop and possess.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    *Sigh*, if only...

9. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    I feel your pain. The director I least enjoyed playing under was (groan) a clarinet player. Sounds like this guy is fresh out of college and trying to make a name for himself and show off his sparkly new degree. He's probably just repeating what he was told or thought he heard when he took his brass pedagogy class. Perhaps you could see if your private teacher would intervene and have a grown-up to grown-up chat that might enlighten his darkness to all things brass. I understand not wanting to be disrepectful and really admire your restraint. Not an easy thing for a trumpet player to keep his/her mouth shut even knowing the consequences. We're just not made that way. Just consider the source (he probably started on clarinet, ewww, bamboo suckers).

Cornyandy likes this.
  10. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Exactly right, Ivan. The pinky ring is there so you can keep your grip on the horn while turning pages or playing with a plunger or similar mute. All the same, if anyone likes playing with their pinky in the ring, by all means do so. I don't play that way. I was taught (by TRUMPET PLAYERS) not to play that way, and I don't recommend it for my students, but if it works for you....