Pinky ring question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterjake, Aug 29, 2012.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The point is that your 3rd finger is freeer to move if the 4th isn't anchored in the pinky ring, but can float up and down a bit as your 3rd finger works. If this isn't true for you then you are exceptional.
    You needn't lift any finger higher than where it sits when the valve button is all the way up. Can you place a dime on top of each button and play without them getting away? If you can actually play without making space between the finger and the button you have excellent control.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    On guitar, it can take years to get fretting fingers to work independently of each other, especially behind barred chords ... They will move independently, eventually, if you stay with it long enough. Same with the trumpet. The demands of finger dexterity are minimal (compared to guitar :roll:) ..... just about anything works with the pinky. In the ring has worked for some of the fastest, cleanest trumpeters that ever played jazz (Lee Morgan, for one).

If it were me, (and I was like this in HS), I'd tell the director to shove it. :dontknow:

Turtle

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    V. interesting exercise! It sure creates awareness of finger placement. When I tried it 2 and 3 slid around a bit, and 1 kept falling off. BTW - Pennies might work also, since three dimes can be hard for some musicians to scrounge up.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    It is hard to believe that such a mountain would be made from such a small molehill. I gues it goes to show that trumpet players aren't the only ones with ego problems...

I've had only 2 teachers so far, the latest of which can claim a stellar career as a performer and educator. However, none of them has ever done as much as made the pinky finger a subject of discussion. I was told by both of tehm, at many years interval, that whatever felt natural was good and not to worry about it. I was also told that for technical passages and studies, curved fingers likely would work better than straight ones, as it is the case for most players, even though there are examples to the contrary:

Maurice André, "Hora Staccato" - YouTube

If this is the kind of stuff your director makes a point of, I'd say the band is in trouble...

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Tobylou,
    Methinks they must have worked you out too hard that day if you played a piece in Bb concert on your Bb horn using the C# key ;-)
    Must have sounded quite modern...

6. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    C# key?? I know, of course, that there is a key of C sharp (7 sharps), but where's the trumpet's C sharp key??

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Just one question: How do you hold a trumpet without a pinky ring when you're using mutes? specially with a plunger or a harmon?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Your trumpet lays between your pinky and thumb when both are supportive below the leadpipe. I don't like mutes.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Mutes are not the enemy.

To plunge ... aiy ... and to not stabilize thy instrument with said ring? I daresay, banish the thought! Plunge, yes! But, nay ... forget not the cost of dent removal, and use thy ring. :play: (see? the smiley dude is using it)

Turtle

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Imagine you would use the ring when using a plunger. wouldn't be needed for most others- just those you are holding- which is in itself fairly unique.

Please note I really don't have a dog in this argument. I was simply relaying what I was taught 40 years ago- which included 5 directors and 3 private teachers ( several well noted). Obviously, I taught my students the same- for all the reasons previously listed. It may be that there are different thoughts depending on the area of the country where you live. To be honest, the reasoning does seem to make some sense- at least to me. All that said, I almost always use a pinky ring ( yeah, I was one of those rebellious kids). And, I don't have a lot of speed when using third valve. on some passages I find myself having to take my finger from the ring to try and get the speed. It would have been easier if I had acquired the habit, rather than not.

Again, no real dog in this fight. People think differently. should you but your thumb between the first and second valve casing? I was taught that way by most of my teachers. Some push the method, some don't- and you can find some really wierd grips among pros.

I just didn't think it was fair to tell a student that the teacher was wrong on recommending it when it is one of the methods taught.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012