Pinky ring question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterjake, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A durn good question when the music is scored in the concert key of C#, thus where do Bb trumpeters put the additional two sharps required to transpose 1 step higher. Perplexing to me as well, albeit I've never encountered any music in the concert key of C#.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    With our singer , it don't matter! ROFL You're right! I was /am still "hungover" from playing my ST302. Not that I haven't done that before! :D Meant concert B. And yes, it was brutal!!

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    This reminds me of an anecdote, which I reproduce here from memory:
    During a rehearsal, Thelonious Monk had quickly scribbled a music score that Milt Jackson could not read.
    Milt to Monk : "Is it here a B or a B flat ?".
    After a long long reflection, Monk to Milt :
    "Play it like you feel it, man".
    :huh:

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I have to make a correction here after paying better attention to my finger placement. On fast passages, my fingers actually lift about 1/2" above the valve caps, not zero, regardless of where my pinkie is. I can still do the fast fingering exercise with the coins on the valve caps, but it's a real struggle. I have not yet been able to retain the one on the first valve yet, but I'm getting a little better at it. I'm glad it's just an exercise!

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Stick a bit of Bluetac under each coin - that should solve your problem :-P

6. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    I can't say I've ever paid much attention to the pinky ring before. I was taught that it was best not to use it, but was never beaten for using it (our band director, though a tyrant, only threw things, and the trumpets are in the back row). I find I don't always use it, depending on several factors. One factor is which horn I'm playing. The pinky ring on my Committee seems to be set a little further from the valves than I find comfortable. Another factor is what kind of music I'm playing. It seems that when I require a lot of concentration, or need to turn pages or use mutes/plunger, I'll use the ring. One thing I do find is that when I don't use the ring, my hand postition tends to "wander" considerably, invalidating the whole pressing straight down on the valves theory. If the passage or piece I'm playing requires a lot of use of the third valve, I will often disengage the finger for ease of fingering, but I will add to the concensus that it also causes my fingers to actually be further from the valve caps, effectively slowing the fingering down. This thread has been interesting in that it makes me think about some basic things that I don't normally notice an a day to day basis. However, pertaining to the OP's issue, his band director needs to turn his amp down and stick to his area of expertise--saxophone--when it comes to small matters of technique like this. It really is a tempest in a teapot.

7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Here is another reason not to place the little finger in the hook.

Raise your right hand and freely wiggle your fingers. Now hold on to you little finger and wiggle them. Most people feel that their ring finger is more restricted when holding the little finger. If there is restriction, then you are slowing down the action and freedom of your third vale finger.

If you want to break the habit of placing your little finger in the hook, rap some Scotch tape over the hook and every time you place your finger in the hook, you will be reminded to keep it out. Most students will have to replace the tape often the first week but after a short time you can break yourself of the habit.

Will it screw up your horn? No!

8. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Absolutely true. Thomas Gansch uses like 3 different embouchures. And his chin is down usually, to the point that the bell of his Gansch horn is facing directly forward (the bell curves up on his horn). But he has amazing tone. All that matters is what comes out the end, even if you're playing it out of your ass.