Piston specs--anyone knows?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vrrodri, Dec 16, 2008.

1. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    I have to replace the third piston in a Mercedes II, anyone knows the dimensions of the piston? I am not sure a Strad piston will fit.
    I only have the pearl button and the screw in caps for that piston. The other two pistons are fine and I think once I get the missing one there it will be fine.

2. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    call charlie melk, or bach. They can help you. Charlie does a lot of restoration work so i would talk to him. Google charlie's brass works.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

The dimension of the third piston is exactly the same as the first two. The only difference being the spacing of the through tubes.

OLDLOU>>

4. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    I also noticed that the main tuning slide leaks water as I play the horn. Is this a really bad thing? I have lubed it to try to improve the seal but it still leaks. Does this mean I have a bad leak? Does it affect my ability to play the high register?

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    It is very likely that a Bundy/Buescher Aristocrat/Bach TR300 piston will do the job. Any good brass tech would be able to tell by looking at the valve casing and the valve guide configuration.