pitch center/making it ring

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Nov 3, 2009.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    There is a book by Chase Sanborn called "Tuning Tactics". The CD that accompanies the book has recorded drones(Synthesizer playing pitches) in all the keys. What I do in my practice is play scales, chords, intervals,jazz licks etc all around the center key/pitch that the drone is playing. Its a very meditative experience once you get used to it. This is very helpful in getting the clarity or vision of sound inside your head and consequently results in a more vibrant, clear, focused sound. I also use the drones to practice "lip bending" as has been described by others. The drone again is helpfull in developing your sense of pitch center and that is what eventually will develop the tone you are looking for.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This IS the real answer. When we find equilibrium, the horn does the work. When we force the issue, physics fight back. We can NEVER win against mother nature. That is why we should relax and enjoy the ride!

3. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes, David Krauss of the Metropolitan Opera shared with me the same type of story when relating the ability of singers to project so well.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Have you had the pads and felts checked?

5. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    I am a student of Laurie Frink and took a lesson with James Thompson last July. These two approaches fit together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

The very last audio track from James Thompson's "Buzzing Book" is called "Finding the Center". One "lips up" and "lips down" until the note settles on its most resonant point. Of course, the exercises that precede that track focus on the "spaces" between the harmonics and "feeling" those distances. Thus, you work up a skill at bending up and down and your ear helps inform you where the note belongs.

This is totally consistent with the pitch bending that I am doing in my studies with Laurie Frink as well. When we attack, we're generally "too tight": bending down a half-step opens the aperture and moving back into pitch well, we get to pitch but stop at the maximum resonance point.

Since skills are made permanent through repetition, diligent practice is the only way we learn where the note belongs without warping it flat and returning.

Best.

6. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Take this advise seriosly. It took me way to long to figure this one. Yes it looks silly in public but you will thank yourself later. After I started doing this consistently for about 2 weeks I could already start hearing improvements. But like rowuk always says true improvement takes months and years.