Pivot, and natural embochure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    (STORY TIME)

Okay, as most people here may have known, I have spent the better part of half the school year changing from a far right-side, 90/10 lower/upper lip maggio to a 50/50, center of the lips farkas. Well, I've spent the entire four weeks of winter break using only the center embochure. I had seen very little progress; though my higher register had improved, anything below a 1st octave G would not sound. It was infuriating.

Yesterday, I guess it all finally clicked, and be darned if I can't play my lower notes, even glissando/warp those notes around today! I will have to give credit to the notes on the Farkas embochure Pops has on his website, bbtrumpet.com. I finally found how to make the air flow on the lower register (It is more of an "ahh" sound, but you make the air focus towards the front of your mouth. Hard to explain). My tonguing seems more difficult, and my range is a high A, but its the absolute best sound I've ever been able to make on a trumpet.

(TOPIC TIME)

Anyways, I had some question. I have read on Pops's site that a "pivot" should be used for the extended register when using Farkas. I was wondering what that means.

The other question. When a child begins playing trumpet, they naturally want to place it where it feels best. Does anyone here know (or is) someone who naturally played Farkas or the other accepted methods?

Van

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I dunno about any one specific method but I find myself using a pivot when I enter the altissimo registers... I believe if you do some research on lead players (i.e. vids, pixs, etc) you will see that they also use a pivot for the higher registers... For me, I have found that lower leads to higher. Meaning, when I work on my pedals, the high doubles really start to develop. It's all about the air and compression baby!!

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Taken from Pops's site (again). I should have looked around a LIttlE bit harder..

Sorry bout that first question, then. :oops:

Van

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    eh, it's what we are here for. Play on!