placement of the mouthpiece in the leadpipe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chenzo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's is amazing what the mind will have you believe, when looking for a biased outcome. This needs to be done blinded (with someone else moving the mouthpiece) then grading the sound for each blow, over multiple turns, then scoring if there is in fact one position that is reproduced with better than an 80% response. If you can demonstrate that, then I would believe.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's actually what one of the respondents said and the author agreed he was going to do this to see if it was real or "mind over matter".

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I can see this working if the mouthpiece isn't perfectly symmetrical. Otherwise, it's just voodoo.

5. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Or does he just have a loose fitting mp/c ?:shock:

Dean_0

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like gmonady's idea of a blind test.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I certainly believe this works on some trumpets with some mouthpieces - technically it seems to be called 'clocking'. Both my Getzen and Harrelson have mouthpiece positions of "best fit" ...................... believe it - or not.

On my Weril pocket trumpet, Getzen 700S, Boosey and Hawkes Regent MkII, and Tenor horn it makes not one blind bit of difference.

But then - it could all be in my head .............. oh wait ............. trumpet playing is 90% in your head isn't't?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I've seen this article or one like it before and either I've talked myself into it or there is some merit to it. My Destino III seems to like my mouthpiece in one position, while the Recording likes the same mouthpiece about 30 degrees rotated from that. Or as others suggest, perhaps it is in my head? I did try to do the test "fairly".
    My Amati cornet and Denis Wick 2 combination doesn't seem to have a sweeter spot, perhaps similar to Ted's experience.

--bumblebee

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    With my Wedge mouthpiece I only have 2 positions 180 degrees apart where the mp will work, I do not feel there is any differance between the 2.

I can understand if there is an excentricity in the backbore and leadpipe receiver then there may be an optimum position.

Regards, Stuart.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  10. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I would tend to give this theory a wide berth. Chiefly because the horns I play on a daily basis, (3) already have their mouthpieces installed when I play them. Additionally, when I remove them to swab the leadpipes, I always am anal about placing them with the printing side up, in nearly an identical position.
    It has more to do, methinks, with how my lips and I feel rather than blaming the clockwise position of the mouthpiece which sounds like another easy excuse.