placement of the mouthpiece in the leadpipe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chenzo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I know a number of pros who swear by this. Who am i to say they're not on to something? If it helps them play better even if it is only because they believe in it and it makes them more comfortable, at the end of the day what difference does that make?

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, I know what you're saying. Let me add that I gig with a guy (classically trained, but a great, natural jazz feel) who swears to G-d if he steps on a concrete walkway crack line he will suck that night.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth for sure to get into this discussion, but my thinking is: (1) that the older a mouthpiece is the more the potential of it being erratic is whereas the criteria of "precision existed only in the skill of the the actual person making them" and when two or more made them, the difference about equates with the skills we know between professional players, and (2) we are still coping with tool wear even with the latest CNC technologies, and (3) finally we cope with wear of the mouthpiece and receiver angulation respective of player usage similar to the varied wear on valves.

4. chaplainentrekin

chaplainentrekin New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    Ft. Rucker, AL
    I was taught by my trumpet teacher in college to always line up the mouthpiece the same way. For me, that meant that number was straight up. The purpose was not for finding a sweetspot for the horn, but so that the lips always felt the mpc consistantly the same. Kind of like using an anchor point in archery. the less variables, the easier it is to find where the actual deficiency lies. I still do this. But there is no belief (in my head, anyway) that it makes me play better, or not doing it would make me play worse.

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    We all seem to have our own opinion as to what works and what does't when moving parts around on our instrument.

As the author of the original post... How To Place Your Mouthpiece In Your Horn | The Trumpet Blog...

I agree that a more complete test would be nice and possibly more conclusive. Unfortunately or fortunately as it were, I have a very busy schedule and as stated in the original post, I would like to hear others opinions as to the validity of this issue.

I have posted another controversial topic on my site which I found equally thought provoking and would like again to hear others view on this also.....

Dime or No Dime? | The Trumpet Blog

No one has all the answers but we should be skeptical when dealing with opinions.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Yeah, that's TOTALLY the same thing.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Never did trust people that swear... you know... anger issues and all... BIAS PLUS!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Putting his 2 cents in x 5 I see. A dime for your thoughts. Interesting and I like the spectrograph results, but the bottom line is what the ear detects, as the audience has ears, not sectrographs, unless you are in a police station with lie detectors... Hmmm I wonder what they would pick up if attached to the horn?

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A dime weighs 0.0800013 ounces.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    All I'm saying is if you play the valve repetively fast enough and loud enough in which the dime is placed the recording should also pick up the jiggle of the dime. Too, there has been no stipulation in this test between pppp and ffff. Well, I'll be honest, I stacked as many as 4 stainless steel washers in a valve cap so as to not interupt the valve compression and I couldn't discern any difference either and I did this with both open playing and with my YSB.