placement of the mouthpiece in the leadpipe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chenzo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Are you suggesting that putting dimes into valve caps may be helpful for individuals recording commercial material, also referred to as "jingles". Or perhaps an enhancement at Christmas time for playing Jingle Bells. OR alternatively, I can see perhaps the wording on this traditional song change to "Mr. Bo-jingles.... Dance", should the back up horn player insert dimes into their trumpet caps.

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Yeah, but the less you're able to do about it. Getting back to the original topic. I'm OK, I accept my limitations and always strive for better performance. But, with this caveat.....I play primarily vintage horns, as different from each other as can be. Takes some effort, but I'm accustomed to their quirks, they give me what I want. Any lacks in performance is due solely to my own flaws, not the equipment. I do not seek the philosopher's stone, nor have I fallen into the trap of imagining flaws in my equipment responsible for my own shortcomings, as I take pride in having my horns in optimum shape.
    Well, time for a drink! Play well and frequently everyone!

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    After reading the posts................... I will try out rotating my mouthpiece to see if I can hear any difference.........But hey.......will I be deluding myself with results?
    What worries about all this is that I am not a machine or robot ...just a mere mortal with human emotions and faults.
    I can understand the physics in all this but the problem still remains..I think that just striving to play as efficiently as possible should be the goal regardless of equipment.
    But never the less its something that I can look into ..........I think you will need to try this a few times over a couple days/weeks to really find out.
    I suppose I could place a few marks around the mouthpiece blindfold my self play and rotate then note the position and do this again a few times to see if there is a difference

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Nope! They're not melodic enough. All you get is jiggles like something is loose, not jingles. Well, the truth is that most percussion harness bells aren't very melodic either IMO. They're sure not like the old real McCoy. Same about cow bells.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't believe a "cow bell" is a homeopathic / medicinal remedy for a "fever". Not sure that Walken didn't replace "bell" for another 4 letter word so that he wouldn't get censored.

I couldn't, but my Grandfather claimed he could tell which cow wore which bell, but not all cows in the herd wore them, just the leaders. I have watched him forge a cow bell. He made them from worn out and abandoned saw mill blades, and he sold many. Pitch? He also played a good fiddle, so you figure how his sense of pitch was.

7. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    A former teacher told me to always seat the mouthpiece in the same position rotationally speaking. He did not, however, advise me to search for the best sound rotationally. He advised to use some mark on the mouthpiece to assure sameness. No felt tip marks made.

8. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Had the same experience as rockwell.... my instructor (principle trumpet in 3 well known symphony orchestras) also advised me to insert the mpc in the same rotational position every time. I had to assume this advice was good but I couldn't then and can't now tell any difference. I decided my instructor must have had perfect pitch or at least better audio response than I. However, a good college basketball player can tell if the basket height is off as little as one inch.... so just maybe..... JA

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or obsessive-compulsive which is also a rational diagnosis in our society.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If we weren't a little obsessive-compulsive we wouldn't practice as much.