Plagued with shaky tone; not tired, don't know why

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, May 15, 2012.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    As Rowuk states, this could be a problem with anything from breathing to articulation.

I'd do the following:

- work on breathing
    - review and work on your whole support column (diaphragm, breath, body position, throat, articulation, embouchure, etc.) and make sure things are 'right'
    - don't overdo your warmup! there's a difference between warming up and practicing. Your warmup should just get you ready to practice
    - go back to fundamentals. Get out the Arban's book and practice some of those exercises you forgot about years agao
    - make sure you're not dehydrated - drink plenty of water

bigtiny

2. etc-etc

etc-etc New Friend

Apr 29, 2009
    I would suggest to try another horn, to make sure it is you and not the horn. If you sound the same or worse, it is you. If you sound noticeably better, it is the horn. Usual suspects: leaky corks, ungreased slides, valves turned out of alignment, junk stuck in the leadpipe or near the valves.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    If you are only drinking coffee with caffeine without food in your system, you could be having a low sugar episode. That in itself could make you feel weak and shaky. People can have low sugar upon arising who are not diabetics. You would be wise to eat something (even a small portion of protein) with your coffee before staring your day. Remember to brush your teeth after breakfast before practicing your horn. You may be one of those people who don't take time to eat breakfast, but it is still the most important meal of the day. It is likely should you eat something before before practice, you will feel stronger, more steady and have more concentration for your practice routine. If you are only consuming coffee with caffeine only it is no wonder you feel gittery and shaky. The lack of nutrition would make you feel weak.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

If the tone i caused by embouchure (and it probably is since he didn't mention any physical shakiness or Parkinsons type shaking) the situation MUST go away if he puckers his chops in the mouthpiece more.

Or somehow makes his chops FATTER against the mouthpiece. No shaking can occur this way as the chops/flesh act like a shock absorber in a car.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It's been nearly 6 weeks since the the OP weighed in last. Perhaps his problem went away?

6. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I had an issue with shakiness in the morning. I could feel it before I even blew a note. Coffee turned out to be the culprit!

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Vstern may have followed the advice given and all is well and/or he quit playing. Maybe we will hear something.

Lloyd

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vstern... This is your doctor calling... How are you doing? Any progress... in either direction?

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The patient is unresponsive. :-( He was buried in a mountain of advice and he's digging out. Go for the light, OP!

Turtle

10. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    :think:

I find the best way to ward off the shakiness in the morning is to top up my alcoholism blood level by partaking in another shot.:bravo: