Plan of action after a long break

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Dec 22, 2012.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Do any if you (especially come-backers) have ideas for a plan of attack for getting my chops back after four years off? I know how to read music, remember where all the notes are on the face and under the fingers. I never got fancy on trumpet, could never get very far into Arban. But I could keep up in marching band. ROFL I did get quite a bit further in French horn, but that stuff doesn't really carry over.

I would like to be good enough to hold my own in third or fourth book in a community band or play melody lines and easier arrangements of jazz standards, as an intermediate goal. I know to work on buzzing, long tones, scales, arpeggios. Anything else I should or should not do besides just play the horn? I've got lots of sheet music that includes vocal melody lines so I can run through those to get "air time." I know the main thing is to just get the horn to my face and play! If it would ever arrive...

i hope I'm not asking too many questions. I'm excited and I'm off for the holidays so I have nothing else to do while I wait for the horn to come. :)

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    misty.sj,

I am a comebacker now 18 months back to the trumpet. I think I read that you acquired a 7C, so I suppose you already are working on some buzzing. When I began, I rooted around in musty boxes and found my old copy of Arban's and a bunch of tunes I enjoyed. This has been more than adequate for me, along with current free resources I found on line. My main challenge was patience. Having once played at a certain level, I was anxious to get to back to that point. It is easy to overdo. Relax and enjoy the comeback trail (track for you Aussies!).

Jim

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well done, to return to playing after such a long break!

Take it easy with your return. You will find that your ability to play won't have diminished much; but your ability to play FOR LONGER PERIODS will have suffered. Go slowly at first, and keep in the background in your community band. And then, start upsizing your practice time...

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Depending on how passionate you are and how much time you spend in your vehicle, A 10ft. length of flexible,clear PVC tubing with a 3/8in. I.D. hose will help you do many simple exercises while driving. I use one and it's the bomb! I was able to find a donor bell from the music store and voila, drivable practice horn! As you get better, you can play the whole scale (C) and it's somewhat in tune. I would get clear pvc so you can see when it needs rinsing. If you produce a lot of "condensation", you may want a rag for dumping. Play on!!

5. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I'm working out of Lip Flexibility for Trumpet. Mind, it's been several weeks and I still can't manage beyond exercise three simply because I haven't rebuilt the range yet. But, it's becoming easier.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It may seem snide at first, but open the case, lift the old instrument and mouthpiece out and then proceed to clean and lubricate them. Failure to do this may hinder any progress you attempt at a comeback.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The path to success is based on a plan, not a shoebox full of "suggestions".

Many times muscle tone will be the focus of the "helpful". While muscle tone IS a significant part of playing, isolated strength is generally disastrous for building confidence.

I teach integration and that means that we start NOT with buzzing, lipslurs or other athletic approaches, rather we start with long tones and slow scales ON THE HORN. Why? Well because:

The foot bone connected to the ankle bone, The ankle bone connected to the shin bone, The sin bone connected to the knee bone, The knee bone connected to the thigh bone, The thigh bone connected to the hip bone, the hip bone connected to the back bone, The back bone connected to the shoulder bone, The shoulder bone connected to the neck bone, The neck bone connected to the head bone, Them bones got up and the walked around

Chorus:
    Them bones them bones got up walked around, Them bones them bones got up walked around, Them bones them bones got up walked around now hear the word of the Lord (repeat)

The head bone connected to the neck bone, The neck bone connected to the shoulder bone, The shoulder bone connected to the back bone, The back bone connected to the hip bone, The hip bone connected to the thigh bone, The thigh bone connected to the knee bone, The knee bone connected to the shin bone, The shin bone connected to the ankle bone, The ankle bone connected to the foot bone, Now hear the word of the Lord

The notes that we play sound and then are heard by the ears, which tell the brain what has happened, the brain figures out what it would have preferred and tells the breathing, lips, body what to do differently. If we DO NOT focus on getting the control loop developed, we waste the majority of our time on body development and don't really get anywhere.

So, my recipe is long tones and slow scales ON THE HORN EVERY DAY(!), then when we feel a bit more comfortable, we add easy tunes like out of a hymnbook. Once our self confidence is back (3-4 weeks), we ADD more technical things to the routine to round our playing out.

I can't stress the integration loop enough. Body over mind is brainless - mind over body is intelligent.

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Snide Ed

Ed's suggestion is not one to be overlooked, misty.sj. I think you are expecting to receive a used Ambassador very soon. When I got my used Strad I simply lubed it and played it for a week without cleaning it. It had been a closet queen for over a decade. Who knows what may have been living inside that horn! The several doctors here on TM and other experienced posters were quick to remind me of the error of my ways! Thankfully, when I washed it thoroughly, nothing peculiar, evil or overly gross washed out. If you search for gmonady's posts, first you are going to be overwhelmed:lol:, but be patient and search through what you discover. Gary's got great suggestions for horn cleaning with an alcohol solution (90%+, I think).

Jim

9. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks all! Great suggestions. I will put them all,into practice. I like your idea, rowuk. And thanks for the suggestions about horn maintenance. I have a feeling this horn has been lovingly rehabilitated, based upon my (and trumpetmaster's) dealings with the seller. So hopefully not too many funky surprises. :)

I also got a really amazing PM from Dr. Mark, with a wealth of info.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Your idea of a trumpet stand is excellent. Coming back, you will get tired very quickly, just like a jogger getting back into shape. Play some long tones until you get tired, put the horn down and do something else for a while, pick the horn up again and repeat. Lots of short sessions with rest adds up to one long session. As endurance increases, you'll be able to play longer periods before getting tired. Like Robin said, long tones, scales and tunes at first. When you get sort of kinda in shape let me know. I've got some exercises that will work on technique that will tire you out quickly, and you can start the process all over again.

Have fun!