Planning a trumpet hang

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by entrancing1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Hello all, I am hoping to hold a trumpet hang in Buffalo NY for sometime in February. I am looking to you who have hosted or attended such an event for advice as to time of day VS a bar being available, whether to offer food for a price or not and security, (how do you ensure against an unscrupulous individual from walking off with a nice horn)?

My tentative plan is to hold it at an American Legion Post. My initial thought was to schedule for 2:00 PM but If it were scheduled to begin at say 5:00 PM or 7:00 PM the bartender could be staffing the bar. Admission $5.00, pizza and wings $5.00. Intention is to invite individuals to bring their horns and perhaps invite local music stores to bring in a selection of horns they sell.

Please tell me your opinions on such an event besides that the weather can suck in Buffalo in February.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I co-host one in Chicago at a person's home. We supply beer, wine, and soda. No food, as we don't want chunks blown through horns. Time is generally about 1pm to 5pm. Since it's at his house, we don't charge anything, people show up or not as they choose.

Tom

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Buffalo ...... in February?

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I would come!

Since it is a nearly 3 hour trip, early time is better, and a weekend day is also better, although there is Presidents' Day. A weekday is possible, but more costly for a working person.

I wouldn't bother with food until after. $5 is no problem - gas will cost much more than that!! Bar is a non-issue for me as I am a non-drinker.

I can bring a dozen different horns.(at least)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  5. entrancing1

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks Veery, in regards to Brian Moon's reply, he just doesn't get that we upstaters and specifically Western New Yorkers are a hardy bunch.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    We need a trumpet hang down south here.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Ive never heard of this, but the idea sounds like a winner to me! I sure would go to one if it were nearby. The idea of trying out other horns is way cool. Let me think about it for a while and check with some friends about having one here. Best wishes.

8. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Some of my neighbors have been planning a trumpeter hanging for ages.....

turtlejimmy likes this.
  9. entrancing1

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    :lol::lol:

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I would go if I still lived in Syracuse, but I moved to Sunny Florida!