Plasti-dip on Lacquer Experiment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by awhiteside, Dec 9, 2015.

1. awhiteside

awhiteside Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2015
    Tucson AZ
    Hey there,

Does anyone have any experience using 'plastidip' spray on lacquer/brass? If you're not familiar, this is a rubbery spray paint that can be peeled off--people will paint their cars with it to prevent scratches.

http://www.amazon.com/Performix-11203-Multi-Purpose-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B0006SU3QW

I have a crazy idea to spray plasti-dip on the outside of a valve section as an alternative to lace-on valve covers.

Has anyone tried this yet? Unless somebody has tried this already with catastrophic results, I'm planning on doing a test coat on my 'Olds Ambassador from Hell' beater... Still need to figure out how and what to mask, but I'll post pics of the results in a couple of days. If it works and is easily removable (and doesn't hurt the existing lacquer), it opens up a bunch of interesting things to try... Does a rubber coating on the bell make the horn play warmer etc.

Thanks!

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I like the way you think!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know about beaters, but any damping compound will make a differrence. Most trumpets sound best when we do not grip the valve cluster tightly.

My concern however is not damping resonance, that can be easily heard. My concern is sweat getting under the plastidip and not being able to evaporate. Kind of like the valve guards keeping the moisture on the valve instead of being easy to wipe off.