Plated vs. Lacqured vs. Raw Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I suspect you're 100% correct. I had read somewhere that lacquer could change the tone character if applied too heavily.

2. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Yet another concise pearl of wisdom from Mr. Proctor. Think you nailed it in two sentences, Sir.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I had a horn that Charlie Melk restored. He referred to the original lacquer as "thick goopy sh--".

I'm thinking that it couldn't help but affect at least the feedback of the horn, if not what the audience heard.

Tom

4. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    I feel the type of material the horn is made from and the person playing it affect the tonal qualities much more than the exterior finish ever could. The metals involved (red brass, gold brass, titanium, etc.) and whether the bell is "spun brass" or seamed actually do affect the tone and playing properties of the trumpet.
    As noted in several forums, a player can be picked out of group by his/her "tone" regardless of the horn he/she is playing.
    Remember, the lacquer or plating choices are primarily appled to protect the underlying brass from corrosion/degradation. The shiny look you get is just a bonus not the goal. Those worn places we notice on the exterior finish would have been directly in the brass without the plating or lacquer.
    So, I basically concur with the assesments above that indicate you should play as many horns as you can before buying. The right horn will find you.
    I was fortunate enough to be able to select my primary horn after playing a large selection of pro level horns side by side at Bertrand's Music store in 1984. They all felt different when played and I made the selection based on what felt right to me.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HA HA!! Now all you have to do is attach it to my lawnmower and it will be perfect. As a professional courtesy I'll do it for my cost! :D

Kudos to Dale for being spot on!:thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  6. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Ahhhhhhh! Confusing. After reading the Schilke comments I was ready to have the lacquer removed from my Getzen 900sb. Now, I read every post after and sounds like I should just keep it. I looove the tone now(but part of my brain is saying...'you'll love it even more if you take the lacquer off...in may be more resonant...blah blah blah')

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

8. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    thanks Dale, I think that's good advice. Plus the upkeep is sure as heck easier.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Conventional wisdom says lacquer isn't too different from most non abrasive polishing compounds. IE if your horn isn't lacquered you are probably going to want to use something on it so you don't have to polish it everyday, which ends up being pretty much just the same as lacquer.

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I believe that when Schilke made that comment the laquer was a lot different back then. The laquer used now is applied a lot thinner.