Play Again after 35 years - What's That Bubbling Sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ThinLips, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ThinLips

ThinLips New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Folks,

I need some guidance. I'm trying to play again. Terrible bubbling interference in the tone. Is that just too much spit?

Mike

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yeah. Pull out the slides and turn them upside down.

Welcome to TM!
    :welcome:

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Spit and condensation can cause the bubbling sound. Did you just clean it recently? Also relax and don't try to push too much air through it. Temperature and humidity can also cause the higher amounts of condensation.

Use the spit valves.

Another quick way, is to hold the three valves down and rotate the horn through 360 degrees (Not a recommendation for normal playing).

Welcome to TM.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Good advice above. Use your water valves more frequently initially, to emty the spit and condesation.

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    On the Yamaha 4335 I experienced this happening often in my second valve slide. Very odd, but don't forget to check that little thing. 1st valve at times on that one, too.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Mostly condensation, there is really not that much mouth secretion that makes it beyond the MP's shank. Some horns get more than others for some obscure reason. You get more of it at the beginning of a session when the horn is still kinda cold. If water keys don't clear it all, take slides out and turn them upside down. A thorough cleaning and rying of the horn might be in order too.

7. ThinLips

ThinLips New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks to all. This never happened when I was a kid. Is this some kind of saliva displacement problem? Can I expect this to diminish as I build my chops?

Mike

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, and you get better control. But, it seems some horns are more likely to develop spit/condensation than others. Also the food you eat, time of eating and the tongue muscle development has a lot to do with it, from what I have read and understand here. I find the same as you after I have been away for a while, then play solidly again, it takes some time and there seems to be a lot of moisture in the horn.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    As previously stated, some horns make more water than others - my Getzen Eterna Classic makes much much more water than my Weril Pocket trumpet and, interestingly, as I proceed through my comeback, the amount of moisture produced seems to lessen - mind you, that has taken about a decade to achieve :dontknow:.

Blow and drain often - if it's really bad you may have to experiment and work out which notes are unaffected when played with the water key opened or closed, so you can drain as you play - Rowuk posted on this recently.

I don't create enough water for this to be necessary for me.

10. Cornetista

Cornetista New Friend

Dec 22, 2011
    Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
    I also recently started playing again after 37 years away. I found the same thing when I first started to play and it has gradually diminished over the last 3½ months. I believe it was both condensation, especially at the start of a practice as my instrument was kept in quite a cold room and immature chops. When I first started again I had air escaping around the sides of my lips and a lot of saliva seemed to be coming through causing my lips to be making an almost bubbly sound. I also could not practice more that 10 mins before my lip was gone. However, I have practiced regularly each day for 3½ months and things are greatly improved, stick with it, although it was very frustrating at first because I used to play quite well as a teenager and now I seemed to be rubbish. I now love playing again. It is hard work and you must discipline yourself to intelligent daily practice. I now play 20 mins rest 20 mins for a min of 1 hours playing each day. I warm up with long tones including a lot of pedal notes, plenty of lip slurring exercises and then 20 mins on Arban exercises, not moving on till I am happy playing an exercise well. My range is better now than it was 37 years ago. Welcome back to trumpet playing it will take time and hard work but you will get there.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: