Play Again after 35 years - What's That Bubbling Sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ThinLips, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Also, though it may seem like a Captain Obvious thing for me to say...I mean...kinda make sure you swallow all the saliva in your mouth each and every time you put the horn to your face, and every rest. It's something I do constantly, is to make sure there's not too much spit to go into the horn to begin with.

I do that while singing too.

2. fret

fret New Friend

Jun 17, 2011
    I had a "bubbly" embouchure at the beginning of my playing after 32yrs off. It will disappear with time on the horn. I hope this addresses your problem.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Mike,

Don't practice beside the fish tank :D

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Really strange strange things can happen after a long spell off the horn. Once upon a time like in 1984 or so i came back to playing my trumpet after the end of a long relationship with Budweiser*. So i pick up the horn and not a whole hell of a lot of stuff is missing. Save and except that i couldn't hit a High g to save my life. Instead the note skipped an octave and slid up to the G ABOVE Double C! Obnoxiously loud too I might add. Notes I generally can't play except on alternative or trick embouchures.

Then in the days following this condition disappeared. The "regular" G came back good as always. So of course I pushed my body too far and ended up with Mike's "spit valve tone" for a few days.

Was all caused by over training of course. Comeback players and newtons can get some odd odd conditions within their untrained, soft flabby chops. Mike's condition should improve soon. good luck.

* As applied to myself I hate the term "comeback player". Nothing wrong with someone else using the phrase to themselves or others but it as towards moi? I'd rather be accused of being a girl..

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I for one have always had more moisture than the other guys in the section ( just look down at the floor ). Mine is spit. It's not condensation. Miles Davis had the problem too. I keep hydrated and simply put too much moisture thru the horn. I also empty about every 30 seconds.

coolerdave likes this.
  6. ThinLips

ThinLips New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks, Cody.

7. ThinLips

ThinLips New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Thank you, Peter.

8. ThinLips

ThinLips New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Doggone it, it's the filter!

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What make and model horn are you playing? If you are playing a cornet they can really be pesky to get the water/spit out. If you are playing a horn that doesn't have a third valve water key then you will have to remove the third valve slide and hold all three valves down as you blow it out.
    There was one suggestion which does work but I wouldn't reccomend it for a concert setting.
    Take the mouthpiece out ...hold all three valves down point your horn down..blow.. point your horn up and blow then down and blow.... the condensation will come out of the bell.

10. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    And make sure you have good air support. Sometimes I get the bubbly sound in the upper register and I get a bubble sound identical to full spit valves.