Play-Along Books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Dec 25, 2011.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The music stores always seem to have simple song books with CD accompaniment. While most of these books are below the level of playing that would help build any kind of physical technique for anyone other than a beginner, I think it wouldn't hurt to try them out to improve my phrasing. The last 3 days I have played along with a Christmas book for my daughters and had a lot of fun.

Looking for suggestions of good play-along books that would be suited to beginners,intermediate, and advanced players. I would play with an ensemble every day if I could. Since I can't I am thinking that this will be the next best thing.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I dont know where to get these, but there are some CD's that are a play along. You play a part, I know there is jazz stuff, and the CD is the rest of the band. I would PM coolerdave about that because I know he uses them.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I got one of those play along books from Burrage Music store in Raleigh , NC 3 years ago. I got it because it had 2 or 3 songs that I liked alot. I actually used the CD as backup thru the speaker system at the last minute at a church bbq because the band didn't know it. There were about 20 or 25 groups that played that day. I got a lot of thank you cards from the people there....they thought it was the best performance of the day. All this at the last minute with my " band in a can ". It used to be called " Music Minus 1 " 20 or so years ago. I played it back then too. Very relaxing and fulfilling. I just found the site ! It's 15 to 20 bucks for a book I liked the Chicago-Style Jazz book/cd. Here's the link Accompaniment CD Recordings and Sheet Music Books | Music Minus One : Traditional Jazz Series: Chicago-Style Jam Session (2 CD set) [MMO CD 3844] - $14.98

4. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    That got bookmarked, lots of possibilities from Bach to Mettalica?