Play in noisy ska band & cant hear myself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by orbits_1, Apr 4, 2009.

1. orbits_1

orbits_1 New Friend

Apr 4, 2009
    Hi , I have just joined this forum. I am wondering if some one out there could help me with a small problem.

Played my first gig tonight with a band. We practice a few times before with no major problems. Tonight I couldnt hear myself as the speakers in the pub were just to loud and I played more than a few wrong notes as most of the time I was just guessing what was coming out of my trumpet. Felt like being blind or something.

I was not using a microphone as I thought that the trumpet would be lound enough.

What would you recommend me to do?

2. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    Use a mic. You might also want to use a monitor with your mic heavy in the mix to aid in hearing yourself as well.

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    you need to get yourself miked up and coming through the PA, in my opinion. I discovered that although a trumpet can be very loud, it is too hard work competing with instruments that can just turn up dial to get louder.

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    You could use what is called a "shield" . They're clear polymer circular plate that can engulf a microphone through the hole in the center. They're 10" in diameter,+/_, and they bounce the sound right back in your face, so, if the sound guy isn't delivering enough in your head phones or monitor, the shield bounces enough in your face.

I angle the music stand to reflect sound back at me sometimes, so I can hear myself, only thing is, the audience thinks I have charts, when I'm improvising.

If there is a wall behind you, and you're standing, just turn around and shoot at the wall when you have to.

Whatever you do, the audience will perceive that you know what you're doing. Make it look like work; it is work.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Ear plugs will help.
    I play in a popular hip hop band in Toronto (on sousaphone) and I can't hear a note that comes out of my horn while on stage if I don't have ear plugs in.

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Agreed. When we went to miked horns for our band, not only did the horns finally fall into the overall "blend" of the rest of the band, but us horn players could finally hear what ourselves (and each other) were actually playing. What a difference. :thumbsup:

Of course a PA monitor feed to either floor speakers or the new "ear bud" personal monitors will be necessary.

7. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Love it! :thumbsup:

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I put in earplugs and mostly go by feel,
    The trumpet is loud enough that it carries, but with earplugs you can hear the trumpet and feel where it is (IMO)
    I find my endurance gets better when I take the plugs out though...

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I have earplugs that are fitted to my ears. They cut the noise by 15db but you can still hear what is going on. There is also a 25db insert available and it comes with a full plug- it-up insert. The over-the-mic soundshield is also great.

10. orbits_1

orbits_1 New Friend

Apr 4, 2009
    And ideally I guess the speakers shouldn't be behind the musicians but in front of them.

Thank you very much. great ideas. will try a few. Will let you know how it goes. Will have another gig on the 24th.

thanks again
    Pedro