Play in noisy ska band & cant hear myself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by orbits_1, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    you are an acoustic instrument trying to maintain a balanced volume with electric instruments. Your lip will give out quickly since you have to play LOUD all the time.
    Get yourself some in ear monitors(that you can adjust the volume) and a small mic. Samson has some good products.
    Also, Ed Kennedy gave you some great advice. You'll probably need to go to a hearing specailist to get a mold made of your ears but it will be well worth it if you decide to continue to play in loud electric bands.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    :-o
    Hip hop version of "Billy and the Boingers"? :thumbsup:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Volume levels that exceed what we can acoustically overpower with the trumpet are in most cases just TOO DAMN LOUD. The solution is to get the monitors turned down. If the purpose of music in the pub is to deafen the audience, fine - don't take the musicians with them!

I really think that so much noise on the stage is stupid. There is no musical reason for it. Your ears are just about the most powerful tool that you have. Don't waste them or let some idiot destroy your future.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

But its ska,
    SKA SKA SKA

(aka tuning is overrated, as well as music)

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    From experience if the venue supplies the sound system and operator, the level is set so high it is impossible to converse with the person next to you so the only recourse is to drink.

Beware of these situations as only short exposure can cause permanent hearing damage.

Workplace health and safety require hearing protection at a sound level of 90db, I have measured the concert band I played in at 115db and caused much merryment when I came to rehersal with ear muffs.

Regards, Stuart. ( with industrial deafness )

6. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Crappy venues are numerous. Their sound system often lack the capacity to efficiently blend all instruments to a satisfactory level. Remember that you simply cannot compete with the sound level of drums+guitar+bass if they crank up their volumes.
    You need your OWN monitor, from experience, and ask the sound man to crank YOU to the max in that monitor.

There is no silver bullet. Ask everybody to play quieter, or get an amplified feedback for yourself. I hear earplugs can help, but I simply don't like them personally.

bagmangood: not all ska music is played by incompetent wannabes :)

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I am very well aware,
    Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra is probably my favorite group period right now,
    I'm joking - we always joke in my band "Close enough for ska"

My enjoyment in ska has always been the fact that it is music for fun, not any really higher purpose, so I don't take it seriously - except when playing :play:

8. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    bagman: skapara is indeed amazing! And although the skatalites were not always super tight and "even", they invented the style and mixed it with jazz and gave hope to all of us who are not superstars and who didn't study their instrument in a conservatory or university.

I simply replied because when someone says ska nowadays, they think "blasting annoyingly loud trumpets"... whereas it is not the case with the bands I listen to.

If you like "early reggae" stuff, listen to "Deal's Gone Bad", an excellent band from Chicago who have an amazing trumpet player...

Deal's Gone Bad on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

My thoughts on music (specifically ska)
    if its fun = good

and thanks for the link
    *is checking them out right now*

10. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Also, it's important (not really nessecery per say) to get a moniter as well as a mic. Though the mic helps (alot), getting the moniter will give you the ability to hear yourself as best as possible.