Play like it's your last day... so true

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samdaman, Jun 9, 2009.

1. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    So here I am after a day of oral surgery to remove a blocked saliva duct under my tongue. This wasn't a surprise surgery, but still annoying none the less. The days leading up to today have been very successful in practicing and playing. The surgeon said that it will be a few days till I heal up and can play again. There once was a time when having an excuses not to play would be like finding a hundred dollar bill on the ground, but now I would rather trade that hundred dollar bill to be able to play a Goldman study or two.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Playing music (ie. Trumpet) should be fun, a passion. Its (music) a part of life that not everyone get to experience, sadly. There are many names for the trumpet: The coil of death, the paint-peeler, more frustrating then my ex, etc. Even with all those names, I feel that it is hard to live without. Hopefully you feel the same way.

When you (if you :-) ) finish reading this, I would ask a favor of you. Open up to the piece or etude/exercise that's on your music stand and play through it once. Then, play through it again and think about not being able to play another note after you finish it. The last note of that piece is it; it's your last note. Put all of your passion into it. Make it fun!!! Make it be worthy of the last notes to come out of your horn. Imagine Pavorati singing his last aria and how much energy, passion, emotion, and WORK that led up to that last, beautiful note.

And once you think of that, hopefully you'll want to play it a third, forth, fifth, etc. time. :-)

Well that's about all that was on my mind. Thanks for reading and hopefully this has given you a different perspective. Time to go take a Vikadin and go to bed.

"Play each and every note, like its your last." -Wynton

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I had lip surgery to remove 4 cysts on my lower lip right where I placed my mouthpiece last year. It was scary. It really made me realize how much I enjoyed playing and how much I would miss playing, should something go wrong.

I am fine now. I don't have full feeling in my lip, but the cysts are gone and I am playing better than ever.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I can appreciate the logic and hope that that level of playing can become a "habit" not requiring such "final" thoughts.

I think that playing your soul out can also be in the hope of a new tomorrow - kind of like the birth of a new child.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

At my age and state of physical condition EVERYTHING I play is played as if it will be my last. It just might be. The concept of another new child is so frightening that any note played would SURELY be my last.

OLDLOU>>