Play the trumpet/trombone with Lingual Braces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ilgiova, Feb 1, 2014.

1. ilgiova

ilgiova New Friend

Jan 23, 2014
    Hello ,
    My name is Giovanni and I write from Italy (sorry for my english)
    I am writing because I really need help and your opinion on an important choice I have to do.
    I write here because in my country I have not found anyone who has had a similar situation to mine.

I play the trombone and I'm going to put the lingual braces (particularly " incognito " which is a lingual braces more comfortable, this is what they say)

I would like to hear from any of you who has had a similar experience if :

With lingual braces you can still play ?

It 's so complicated as with traditional braces ? ( I brought traditional braces 10 years ago and it was really difficult to play, almost impossible, I had to change almost completely setting )

The staccato is concerned ? I will be slower?

After the initial period of adaptation will be almost as before , or I will have a deficit?

I apologize for the many questions , but for me this is an important choice , because I have to put braces for two years and my only job is music.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance for availability and sorry again for my bad English.

Giovanni

2. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hello Giovanni.

First off, your English is infinitely better than my Italian, so don't sweat it. :)

Here's a thread from The Other Place which might help to get some information.

Lingual Braces - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum

I have firsthand experience with braces. I had traditional ones for over three years; when I got them, I had already played for two years. After that period, they took the top ones off. Yeah, ONLY the top. My range lost over an octave. Over the next six months, I fought back and learned to play despite the awkward setup. Then, they took the bottom ones off, and I lost a lot of tone quality and had to learn to adjust again. It's been a little over two months since then. I've got most of my range back, and tone quality is there. Endurance is slowly but steadily improving.

My friend got braces after he had been playing for about five years. He utilises lip protectors--pieces of plastic placed over the brackets on his teeth which provide a barrier between the lip and the brackets. Here's the link to the ones he uses--
    Jet Tone Lip Protector | WWBW

Some find this helpful. Some do not.

Equal destinations, different paths. We found what works for us.

As for your lingual braces, I don't have as much direct experience. My guess would be that you wouldn't have as much trouble with pressure and things of that nature, but you may experience difficulty in tonguing. Some adjust successfully. Some do not.

Trumpet playing is subjective, for better or for worse.

I hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in. Also, I'd use the search function on this site. That could aid you in your quest.

~Noah

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Welcome to TM Mr. Giovanni. And don't be too hard on the English, you will soon learn to love Rapier. I did. And only after 3 anger management sessions. That is why TM has made me a better person. We will do this for you, for sure.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Welcome Giovanni,

Don't sweat about your English it's far better than Gmonady's American and as for his English sheesh he doesn't even know what a "u" is for. Do stay and enjoy the banter between all of us and never fear to chip in if you have a point to make or a witty barb to throw.

A

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    "U" is for unique,
    which your paintings are
    The one I bought from you,
    is what raises the bar.

It will soon be hanging
    In the house I am building
    For all to see
    What great taste I am wielding

So I'll give you another chance
    To critique my meaning of "u"
    And hope you do consider,
    A returning customer's point of view.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I play both the trombone and trumpet --- so welcome to TM. I have no experience with any type of braces on my teeth --- but WELCOME, and your English is fine.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Hi Giovanni, and yes, your "American" language is good enough also to communicate. Do not know about braces, but I've been advancing with more and more teeth being added to false partial dentures to the point of all false teeth in a full upper denture. I've now only 5 natural lower teeth left and the rest are false in a partial denture. Clips that retain partial dentures are a real pain to a stable embouchure so my dentist has provided me with a semi-soft cushion for my lower partial that I insert only when practicing or playing.

Like Kingtrumpet I have played the trombone also, but now my slide accuracy and speed have retired it to the shelf on top of my bookcase, but I use the same mouthpiece to continue playing a euphonium in addition to piccolo trumpet, Bb trumpet and cornet.

I really enjoyed the farm cottage I rented in the hills above Naples (Napoli) but the Mercedes bus ride into Italy through the Alps was scary as was the Lambretta motor scooter I rode in Naples. That time is just a memory now, some 56 years later.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes Ed, but I live near a town with lots of Italian immigrants --- the food is fabulous, although we are getting down to the 2nd and 3rd generations now - but 40 yrs ago - I ate some awesome food from Italian friends

9. Teledmd

Teledmd New Friend

Jul 20, 2011
    As a dentist, here are my observations. Although lingual braces free up outside of your teeth from hardware, the inside (lingual) is filled up with the brackets and wires. I have had one patient, not a brass player, have lingual braces. He felt they were extreemly uncomfortable. They cut up his toungue and made speaking difficult. I'm sure the effects on your tounging would be significant.

I am not sure if it is available in Italy, but Invisilgn may be a good solution. If the correction that you need or desire is possible with Invisalign, you can move the teeth, remove the aligners (plastic shells the go over the teeth) and play your horn without any hardware on your teeth. Sometime we have to place bonded buttons on the teeth with Invisalign. You can always ask your orthodontist to request on the perscription not to place buttons on the front teeth.

Also remember that lingual braces are much more difficult for the dentist. You need a Very good orthodontist to get a good result with lingual braces.

I hope this helps.