Play YOUR favorite

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Les Colonello, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Les Colonello

Les Colonello New Friend

Jul 24, 2008
    NewOrleans
    I work 5 nights at a Jazz Bistro in New Orleans. One of the functions of the gig is to play table-side for diners who have requests. It can be quite frustrating when diner after diner says "play YOUR favorite". We try to explain that three different musicians have hundreds of different favorites. Folks just cant seem to think of any song titles and it becomes obvious just how little they know about music. We have to please them somehow even though they have no clue. We have to pick some song out of the "top 10" list of trite and overplayed New Orleans tunes. It suits them just fine as I suspect it lets them off the hook of making a decision.
    One night a nose/lip/ear pierced hipster told us that he wanted to hear some Monk. We played WELL YOU NEEDN'T and he looked at us as if we were aliens. He had no idea what we were doing and hadn't the ear to discern a pretty good performance. When we were done he asked if it was a Monk tune. We said yes and asked what he expected. He said "Something like "Feel So Good, or Take The A Train". So much for thinking we were in the presence of a Monk fan.
    Playing up close and personal is always surprising. We asked an 80 year old lady who was having a birthday what she wanted to hear and she thought for a moment and said, "Mercy,Mercy, Mercy." WHOA! I'll never figure it out!

2. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Related to this, all thru my trumpet life people would ask if know how to play taps? (why????)It goes to show people have a limited knowledge of tunes related to which artist or instrument.Thank god they pay at the end of the night though!

3. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    "He said "Something like "Feel So Good, or Take The A Train". So much for thinking we were in the presence of a Monk fan." ROFL

Maybe he was asking for something from "Monk" the TV show ! :lol:

4. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Good story Les! And welcome to the site!

5. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Ah, Les, I envy your gig. But it IS work, and that's when you consider who's footing the bill.

I humbly suggest you pick a "favorite" that everyone will recognize, that way you will get that look on their face that says "hey, that's my favorite too!"

You know, and I know, and everyone on this site knows, that your musical knowledge is well above that of your typical patron. So, work that to your advantage.

You're in an elite class, my friend. Remember all the folks here that are behind you.

And play that Thelonius Monk tune "Feels So Good". :thumbsup: