Played a large bore horn, and LIKED IT!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Apr 21, 2009.

1. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    So a band I recently started playing with has another trumpet player in it. He plays some sort of Holton Maynard Ferguson model. It's a .470 bore, which as far as I know is considered pretty big. He let me play on it some during a rehearsal and again at the gig the next night, I think I really like it and so far, think it might be better suited for me. It felt like it was much easier to make a big, projecting sound on this horn than it is on my .459 bore Yamaha. It feels like I am fighting my Yamaha to produce the same kind of sound I could achieve easily on the Holton. It's almost as if I have to use pressure on the Yahama to get the same effect. Does this all sound pretty accurate? I've heard playing a bigger horn will tire you out quicker but that would be in regards to the lungs and not the lips right??

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

variables variables variables
    large bore horns can be very open, some aren't
    I'm getting better compression right now with a Courtois large bore than I am with a Bach ML,
    You may need a more open, in which case, a tighter horn might actually tire you out!

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    The Holton Large bore Ferguson models would be .468. That being said, if it is the last of the MF horns with the reverse lead pipe, it is a great playing horn. And the variables are always important. The bore is only one variable.

Pete

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It ain't the bore. Open comes more from the bell shape than the bore. I would borrow the horn for a week if possible and REALLY put it through its paces.

Whenever I borrow a horn, it gets a really good cleaning and goes back to the owner better than I received it. That makes them very willing to loan.

5. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    dude that would be a great song...

Played a large bore horn, and LIKED IT!!

hope my old horn dont mind it!

XD

6. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    yay katy perry...

7. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Hahahaha, ltg_trumpet you're cracking me up. Yeah, I hadn't thought about the other variables in his horn being a factor. I guess I need to figure out exactly what model it is and do some research on the specs. I was just really surprised that I liked it and now it makes me want to experiment around some w. different horns.