Played my trumpet with my rock band!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 12, 2009.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Saturday night my classic rock band had a gig, so I took my trumpet, just to throw something different in the mix.I play lead guitar, so when it came time to do Jimi Hendrixs' "Red House", I grabbed the horn and did a solo where I would normally do a guitar solo.Well, needless to say, it took everyone by surprise-even my band mates, but I wailed for about 2 minutes, and got quite a nice ovation-AND I FELT GREAT!! I've been on the comeback trail for almost a year, and have only been playing with my church praise band, which is usually just playing pianissimo thru the praise time, but I got to really let go on the blues with my band.I will be doing that more often! Just wanted to brag a little. Hope nobody minds!!:play:

2. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    Cool...any video, I'd love to see it!

3. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    same here!

4. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Funny thing- when we rehearsed on Wednesday, my drummer asked if I had a tripod for a video camera, and I told her yes. She wanted to tape the gig on Saturday because we were breaking in our new bassist/vocalist. Well-she forgot the camera(probably because she had to much Capt. Morgan) so the gig didnt get taped. I could probably start a new post----------WHEN YOUR BAND MATES DRINK TOO MUCH(every gig) Hopefully she will remember the video camera when we play on the 24th of this month.:play:

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bassists Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead, The Dead) and John Entwistle both played trumpet, and once I heard a lounge band where the bassist played bass and trumpet at the same time--he couldn't pick, of course,but had his bass set up so that pressing the string created the bass note--perhaps you can do that on guitar as well and get double pay!

6. jonterman

Jan 4, 2009
    I believe you can add Flea, bass player from Red Hot Chili peppers, to your list.

Amazing...I played bass for 20 years before picking up the trumpet. My trumpet teacher plays bass. Must be the way we're wired!

7. jonterman

Jan 4, 2009
    The 'good' thing about drinking too much (not sure there is such a thing), is you always play amazing trashed...until you listen to the tapes the next day!:oops:

8. sinofian

sinofian Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2008
    Central Florida
    Awesome!

I also double on the trumpet & guitar with the classic rock band that I'm in. People really get a kick out of it when I break out the horn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep on Rockin' :thumbsup:

9. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Believe me-when my drummer gets trashed, she forgets EVERYTHING!! Intos, lead breaks, endings, who did the song originally, etc. WHen she hits the rum, its a half a can of diet, and a half a can of Captains-and shes like that at home to. I'm afraid its developing into a serious problem, But, her husband, whos our band mate too, drinks beer by the gallon, but it usually doesnt carry over to the gig.I, on the other hand, have a few beers on gig nite, and never drink at home.SO its usually up to me to keep things together on band nite!:play:

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Certainly potential here for the age-old discussion DO I or DON'T I play better with alcohol/pot?

Sure used to believe it but now I am absolutely sure I was mistaken. Everything works better w/o IMO.

Playing bass is a sure help for improvising on trumpet. Guitar is good too, but bass is really extra special.

I played tuba when young, and have played guitar, piano, and some bass all along - they have figured heavily in my comeback on the trumpet.

v