Played my trumpet with my rock band!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 12, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yep, bass instruments are very useful for instilling a sense of the key that is being played and rhythm, two things not always found in trumpet players!

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Thats about the way it was for me-started playing trumpet at age 9-then self taught on bass guitar and upright bass at 15-then at 19, gave up trumpet to play rock bass, then back to trumpet at age 48. Still play lead guitar and bass, but trumpet is once again, my first love(musically):play:

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Hey, sinofian-what tunes do you play trumpet on? Unfortunatly, "Red House" is about the only thing trumpet fits from our set list. KISS< Z.Z. Top, and Van Halen dont have many tunes with horn in them!!!

4. y-o-y

y-o-y Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    After 15 years on the trumpet I spent the last 5 playing bass and am now back to trumpet....and I thought I was special :D

5. sinofian

sinofian Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2008
    Central Florida
    I hear ya there... Out of our 50+ songs, I've only managed to squeeze my trumpet into four or five songs.

I play the horn stabs (and a few extra fills) in Love Shack and Walkin' On Sunshine. We also cover Would I Lie To You by The Eurythmics; that one has a few runs. Then there's Santana's Smooth, but we haven't played that in forever.

I get the most mileage these days out of Feelin' Alright. We cover the Huey Lewis version (from the movie Duets) rather than Traffic or Joe Cocker's.

6. sinofian

sinofian Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2008
    Central Florida
    Funny...

I started out on guitar at 8 & moved to trumpet around age 12. I played the horn all the way through high school & most of college & didn't really start seriously playing the guitar again until my mid- 20's.

I took about 10 years off from playing the horn & only picked it up again after joining this band a couple of years ago. When they started talking about covering the Santana song (& since there's a 2nd lead guitarist in our group), I broke out my horn & got busy practicing so that we could do justice to all the horn parts in that tune.

7. JFrankParnell

JFrankParnell New Friend

Oct 15, 2009
    Hmm, wow, there are others like me out there:lol:
    So, I played trumpet from 6th-12th grade. I was always the one that the teacher could count on to figure out the rhythms. But I havent played since graduation night.

I had learned some guitar in 5th grade, but picked up the bass in 9th or so, and have been playing in bands ever since. I had like 2 bass lessons, taught myself the rest.

I always tell ppl that i learned everything about playing bass by playing trumpet.

well, now i'm old (40) and my 10yr old son is starting trumpet :thumbsup:. Its great that he has someone to teach him at home, i didnt.

I thought maybe i'd get back into trumpet, maybe play a little with my current band. But then i remembered the Bb thing, and how that might be hard to figure out. What about getting a C trumpet? I dunno, maybe it wouldnt make much difference... I mean, if you figure out what key youre in, you can figure out what notes go with it, then it wouldnt matter. I guess it might be a bit harder if you had to play in 5 flats or 3 sharps or whatever. What has your experience been with that? My band is almost all E, A, G. Maybe some F#, some D or B.

bye
    J

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, JFrankParnell!

The ideal trumpet for a rock band would be pitched in B, but nobody makes one.

9. Colin

Colin New Friend

Oct 7, 2009
    Hampshire UK
    Red House was one of the first things I did after picking up the trumpet again (after about 38 years) - I've playing piano and bass before and classic piano most of my life. Once the lip is back in action, the trumpet is such a liberator once you let go, use your ears and play what comes naturally (following that tune in your head). I now play in a big band, but would love to do blues - any blues bands in Hampshire UK want a trumpet ?

10. Colin

Colin New Friend

Oct 7, 2009
    Hampshire UK

Yes they do! Just use a Bflat and pull out the main slide about 2 inches.