Played trumpet for 12 years -- never had a consistent embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Ask me anything.

:play:

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Have you played long notes or lip slurs as a practise routine? Do you play everyday, with no major breaks of like weeks?
    What do you exactly mean with a consistent ambouchure? What do you want to accomplish?

This will make you think for a sec :lol:

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    When you say never had a consistant embouchure, do you mean you are always tinkering with it and trying the next "big thing" in terms of chop theory or do you mean that you embouchure is flexible enough to allow you to use that to produce different sounds?

4. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I do lip slurs as part of my practice routine daily. Long tones, sorta (Clarkes are the closest thing I got)

What I mean by "inconsistent embouchure" is NOT when I change registers, fyi. I keep that consistent. I think lip slurs and other routine activities did help me in SOME ways.

It's just whenever I take the mouthpiece off my mouth, then back on, the mouthpiece often ends up on a slightly different part of my lip. Sometimes it feels a little more centered, other times a little more, other times my top and bottom lips are not aligned very well (my top might go to the left, while my bottom lip moves to the right). Sometimes my lips are slightly higher one day, slightly lower one day. But in any of these mouthpiece positions, my playing doesn't get affected that much.

My teeth being crooked (which creates an off-center embouchure, btw) might be part of the reason why I have a hard time finding the perfect spot? Oh, and I damaged my upper lip, too... I have to take care to rest often to avoid feeling sharp pain (I have to play hard for a while before I start feeling any pain, though).

I have experimented a few times over the years, but not very much. I've made it a point to not consciously think about my embouchure as I play (though I admit I did try puckering my lips for a span of 2-3 weeks in July; afterwards I just forgot about it and went back to normal).

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Okay, now I know exactly what you mean. I've been looking for a perfect spot for a while now, with a mouthpiece that is large enough to float around in. I found that spot by anchoring a bottom tooth in the middle that sticks out a bit. It's just the right shape to settle into a spot at the bottom of the cup. With that tooth in that spot, everything works well. Now, I just have to work on getting settled into that spot quicker, when the horn is off my face.

A teacher can help settle things. They can see your face, your mp, etc. We can only guess.

Turtle

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Long tones -- sorta????
    take the mpc off the lips???? ------------- WHY DO YOU DO THIS DURING PLAY???? breath through your nose, or corners of your mouth during a song!!!
    you play hard before feeling pain??? ---------Is it necessary to play and blow that hard???
    crooked teeth??? ----------I have them also -- find the spot on the lips -- REPLICATE PLACING THE MPC ON THAT SPOT EVERYDAY, ALL THE TIME -- get a mirror if you have too --------------eventually you will have it down pat.

my question is -- do you practice at least an hour a day??
    my question is --- why don't you have consistent long tone practice???
    where is your discipline???? my goodness your a trumpet player -- it doesn't happen without consistent practice!!!!

I hope that causes reflection and helps you in some way --- if the trumpet was easy, then TurtleJimmy would be at Carnegie hall by now -- but then again, it is a LONG SLOW TRIP TO get there!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

turtlejimmy likes this.
  7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey, I'm FASTER THAN CARNEGIE HALL. Haha .... You can't sit around and wait for it to come to you ..... It's REALLY slow. I'll get there! (when I have air fare and a ticket to see something in CH). :lol:

Turtle

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    We can bet that he doesn't have a consistent rehearsal and gig schedule. This is the likely cause for chop inconsistencies.

Sure If he told me more or I was able to observe him in a video could probably nit pick some breathing and embouchure use motions but this would be less likely to be the cause or at least not the biggest factor in chop inconsistencies. Also he probably is using a very sharp edged, overly deep mouthpiece. I suspect this because almost all trumpet players who struggle use mouthpieces they can not support. But again this is less the major factor involved.

If even if he cuts his chops once in a while on too sharp of a mouthpiece? The maintenance factor of two public rehearsal commitments per week would teach him to SLOW IT DOWN. Staying short of physical damage.

A regular gig and rehearsal schedule by itself (at least TWO rehearsals per week nearly EVERY week of year) simply must induce a dependable embouchure.

It won't guarantee a High F or G but will maintain dependable chops.

Granted he still could put himself through the ringer by over training, swollen lips, cutting his chops and this could lead to inconsistency. However in order to maintain his rehearsal regimen in the long run he would learn to stop short of screwing himself up.

So by keeping at it 2 times a week in front of his peers the consistent playing schedule would lead to a consistent chop performance.

Its all basic stuff. No secret here.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I've been thinking about this and since you said to ask you anything I'm going to ask you if who will be the top tight end in a point per reception fantasy football league?

10. aaronwoolley1

aaronwoolley1 New Friend

Dec 24, 2011
    LA
    So many people do the same thing as you. As for me, it doesn't feel right unless I have it extremely close to my normal spot.

If you look at Wayne B. play, he plays off to the side a little bit, because of his crooked teeth. Fun fact: He got braces to fix his teeth, and when his teeth were fixed, he didn't like it so much, and it effected his playing so much, that he payed the dentist to put his teeth back to the way they were.

So its not abnormal.