Played trumpet for 12 years -- never had a consistent embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    So would KT ROFL

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, a good dentist might help you more by straightening that tooth. It's not an instant fix and you must be peristent to adapt.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I was singing and playing trumpet in Carnegie Music Hall before I was out of high school ... just not the one in New York City but the one in Carnegie PA (my home town) that Andrew Carnegie also funded to build attached to the library he built there. See pix Http://www.carnegiecarnegie.org Yes, that is 2 "carnegie"s. Before I was 6 years old, I lived at 3 Library Ave as was behind the Music Hall and the Library grounds were functional as part of my playground. Such is where the high school drama and music (both choir and band) concerts were performed. IMO the acoustics are great!

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks Ed. It's good to know that, if I can't get to Carnegie Hall #1, there's always an alternate. I'll bet the tickets are less expensive too. :thumbsup:

Turtle

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Andrew Carnegie funded quite a few other Librarys around the world, but I know of only 5 that had an attached music halls. Of these 5, the one in my hometown is the only one that allows his first name to be used. The one in DC is not one of these and it is no longer a library. There is one in Pittsburgh PA that is now part of Carnegie-Mellon University that has a Music Hall. Carnegie PA is just approximately 8 miles out of Pittsburgh now accessable via I 79. Well, the highest price I ever paid for admission to a performance at the one in Carnegie was $4.00 and just a few years later saw Kiss Me Kate performed at the Pittsburgh Civic Light Auditorium and paid $15.00 per seat ($30.00) plus $64.00 for dinner and drinks. Those prices are history now along with 28 cents a gallon for gasoline.

6. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Some of your guesses were spot on (I -do- play on a sharp, deep mouthpiece!.... Bach 5B), but others were a miss (I actually DO play consistently, I play solid routines aside from long times). Perhaps I'm subconsciously trying to protect my damaged upper lip. Yeah, people have already told me to getting my lipped checked out. Long story, but I have to delay taking action on that for a while.

I play on a deep mouthpiece partly because my B-flat trumpet is quite bright, and I have a had time playing with such a "bright" classical sound...not to mention the demand the wind ensemble puts on me. :O

Hear is my half recital done five months ago... ignoring the brass quintet stuff in the middle. I'm afraid there's no close-up of me.

Spencer's Junior Recital - Proclamation for Trumpet and Piano - YouTube
    Spencer's Junior Recital - part 3 - YouTube
    Spencer's Junior Recital - part 4 - YouTube

I don't like posting my playing on the internet much, 'cause you're expected to play professionally with flawless tone. (I can't help but notice so many music choices I'd change now...) I will say that the recording quality is pretty bad, most notably it doesn't capture the dynamic contrast. And with absolute pitch, playing on E-flat trumpet (I wasn't used to it) was a bit "hit or miss" as far as fingerings....haha.

7. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Here's a portion of my recital:

Spencer's Junior Recital - part 4 - YouTube
    Spencer's Junior Recital - part 3 - YouTube
    Spencer's Junior Recital - Proclamation for Trumpet and Piano - YouTube

I'm afraid there's no close-up. I Played on E-flat on the Haydn.... with my absolute pitch, I'm not used to the fingerings, as I didn't play on that horn very much. I'm an awful player, anyhow. I don't typically have that low self-esteem about myself unless I consider myself compared to professional musicians or am posting on the internet... I'm not a fan of posting my playing. But if you can tell me something I'm doing RIGHT, along with the criticism, that would be most helpful....

I typically use a Bach 5B mouthpiece... sharper than I'd like, but hey. I use a deep mouthpiece because my B-flat trumpet is so bright... and it still takes work for it to be dark enough. It's far easier for me to blend with a jazz big band, with my Giardinelli 5M, than it is to blend with the wind ensemble with my 5B....

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Okay pal I enjoyed that although had that been a recital for an exam I might have shot the pianist. Right, I like your tone bright clear and rings nicely in the Haydn. Just a few pointers that might help and I'm not going into anything technical just a few thing that occur.

You seeem to be leaning back a bit playing, don't hurt yourself your spine won't always be that flexible. try to work on having a relaxed straight up posture, my mother was a semi pro ballet dancer and I have learnt an awful lot about having a powerful yet relaxed stance from her.

Try to be a little less self depracating (thats my job I'm the self adimited awful player around here:D) you are NOT an awful player. The main thing that was obvious was that some of the faster parts of the Haydn weren't quite under your fingers and that's just slow practice winding the thing up as you get there.

I did feel a couple of errors from your accompanist put you off at times.

The only other thing I would suggest would be a little invention in the dynamics and perhaps a little greater dynamic range.

I did like your first movement Cadenza a lot, I don't know whether its you own work or from an edition but it was great, (going through it note by not now to sus it out)

BTW what is your accent I can't quite pick it up

Well done, keep up the good work

Andrew

PS try the Haydn on a Wick 3B heavy top that'll make you work :shock:

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Hey, My friend ---- you trumpet sounds beautiful ---- low self esteem is not the same as having ---- NO CONFIDENCE IN YOUR ABILITIES ON THE TRUMPET. look at what you just wrote!!!!!!!
    "I am an awful player, anyhow" - and --you compare yourself to professionals!!!!

I would say --- you have to develop CONFIDENCE in your playing. I will be the biggest advocate, in knowing and having those same feelings (as I don't want to post on the internet --- because as you say, generally the expectation is that YOU and I play like professionals).
    BUT WHO'S EXPECTATION IS THAT???
    I have also COMPARED myself to PROFESSIONALS --- in which, YOU and I, will apparently NOT MEASURE UP TO IN PLAYING ABILITIES AT THIS POINT!!!!
    BUT WHO'S EXPECTATIONS ARE WE ASPIRING TOO???

MY friend --- I THINK a huge part of YOU, is that in developing confidence in your playing abilities (comparing yourself to YOU, be all that you can be, NOT WHAT SOMEONE ELSE EXPECTS YOU TO BE)
    sure - we all need to improve, and listening to professionals is probably a good way of gauging what are potential on a trumpet could be --- but in REALITY this takes time, and we NEED TO BE REALISTIC about our progress, our goals ---- and most importantly are we ENJOYING this trumpet, or are we FORCING IT on the unrealistic expectations of OTHERS or even OURSELVES!!

we need to play and be happy -- that is first and foremost ---
    then we need to be confident in WHAT WE CAN DO on the trumpet --- and proceed from there
    then of course, goals, and aspirations - will find us, if we find our confidence, and our ability on the trumpet, and ENJOY PLAYING IT ----- I am certain of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    Cornyandy likes this.
  10. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Thanks for the comments, guys. Oh, I have a Utah accent... I'm a bit socially disabled, so it may be less obvious. =p

Oh, and I forgot to say.... I mentioned this concern my teacher, a member of the Utah Symphony, He's not an embouchure expert, and he didn't deny the POSSIBILITY of it being a problem, but he doesn't think it's a problem, and he just told me stuff I already knew: focus on air support, think less about my lips. Okay.

I had a bit of a bad day yesterday... really, I get low self-esteem at times mainly because of endurance troubles (largely because of my lip).

The pianist.... yeah, she messed up on the Haydn (she neglected practicing that), but you've got to hand it to her on the Proclamation for Trumpet/Piano... it's an EXTREMELY difficult piano part... even harder than the Arutunian accompaniment, and she was nearly flawless there. So, please take back any demeaning accompanist comments. :[

@cornyandy: the recording quality's not very good, so it did not capture a lot of my dynamic contrasts. As for your comment on my posture.... I'm just not sure. It seems someone always has something to comment. I have a pectus excavatum, so I've never been certain of my correct posture. In past times my head was way forward when I played (standing), which my teacher told me to correct. Thanks for your comments.