Played with a kickin' trumpet section...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's a Christmas show I played 6 performances of through last weekend. The whole thing is good, but if you're short of time, watch at 19:00 and at 01:11:10. Click on the Living Christmas Tree player in the center of the page.

Living Christmas Tree Live Broadcasts

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Was that you screaming' ?? :-) Good stuff, lucky you!

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Quite a group you had there,Dale. I participated in a Living Tree production back in the '80's at the First Christian Church here in Canton. It was a fairly large church as well, but not quite as big a production as the one you were in. Not nearly the amount of musicians involved. Got my first taste of picc trumpet in that one, barely got by with it. I was just coming off carpel tunnel surgery at that point( my first one), just barely had my fingers going. :oops:

4. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I wish! Nope, I played 1st and 2nd, depending on the piece, but I can't pop out a G above high C like that. That same guy ended another piece late in the show with a A above high C. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never be able to do that. It was a fun gig, though. What you don't see is that we played pre-concert music for 30 minutes before what you see recorded here, and this was the second performance of the day.

5. Buck with a Bach

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I'm assuming you were using the 43 for this:oops:

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I played the 43 on Thur and Fri nights, but I played the last 4 performances (2 on Sat and 2 on Sun) on my 1929 Conn 22B. It has a smoother sound and at the same time was easier to play high on. I used my Curry 3M. mouthpiece on it and on the 43. The 22B was pretty amazing overall...I haven't played it very much in the past, but I was not satisfied with the sound I was getting on the 43, so I took a chance and switched horns between performances. This recording of the LCT is on the 22B.

7. Buck with a Bach

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Nice to know that an oldie can still hack it with the newer models:oops:

8. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
  9. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    Very nice, Dale! A beautiful presentation! We used to do a Living Christmas Tree at our church. I played in them for over 20 years, and at the peak we did 15 performances (over a two week period) of the presentation. It was great fun. We never had an orchestra quite as large as yours, but at times we had 35 or so playing (5 trumpets). We now do a much smaller Christmas program with only three performances this year. Still a great experence. I do miss participating in the Living Christmas Trees, though. Thanks for sharing!

Steve

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The last pageant-like thing I played had a rotten conductor who (besides not paying anything) insisted we hold the trumpet vertically on our right legs when not playing. Stupid. Seriously stupid. The music was junk. The congregation, however, seemed to think he was a gift from God and evidently he did too. I stole a hymnal after the gig and never played such a gig again.

When I moved to Germany I got to play Bach's Christmas Oratorio time and time again. No pageantry, no pomp. Just honestly heartfelt music.

Paid well, too.