Played with a kickin' trumpet section...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Thanks, all. This orchestra is almost all made up of our regular church orchestra. It was augmented by more strings, one trombone, and an extra oboe, but other than that, it's what we have on Sundays. Pretty good group, and we tackle a lot of difficult music. Years ago, we did it over two weekends, but now we just do it 4 days/6 performances.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Very nice Dale. Wish I had been in town for that one. That is the "unusual" (70s modernistic) looking church downtown, right? Have never been inside. Wish I lived in HVL. That would probably be our church.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's the one. The orchestra has a wide range of talent and ages, but we do OK most of the time. We also have a big band that plays occasionally, so that's fun too, even if most of the arrangements are kind of square (as are some of the players...:D ).

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Impressive. I like the music arrangements; really good voicing/harmonies/rythms.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nice!!!

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Nice to have that many musicians in one congregation. Other than the organist, there's only us three at our small church. Plus they really don't know how to use us most of the time.Small sactuary,too. I have to be real careful volume wise, can't use the Bach. We use the cornets with the Wick pieces to keep it more mellow.:oops:

7. DestinoJjm

DestinoJjm New Friend

Dec 28, 2013
    Dale,
    Thanks for posting the video! That was an enjoyable show to play and it was a lot of fun playing in the section. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Justin

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, DestinoJjm!

Hope you enjoy it here, and feel free to introduce yourself in the Introductions and Greetings forum.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have a week long gig coming up from the 13th Jan, as part of the trumpet line, in a Jobber band being led by Jerry Nowak. He runs a two week course for conductors here in Sydney each year, and for the second week, they practice their new skills in front of a band, drawn from any available players. It's a real hoot and the skill level of most of the other players gives me cause for hope that I too can continue to improve. Last year, at one point, we had 20 trumpets on song - pure magic.

10. godsong

godsong Pianissimo User

Mar 2, 2013
    Excellent. Love playing in church as well. Keep it up. Great show